Toshiba 160gb Portable USB Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Avizzv92, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Avizzv92 macrumors regular

Does anyone have any experience with this external hard drive on a Mac? If so where they good or bad. I'm looking at purchasing this and wondering if it's a good buy.

Thank You

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Today I saw an ad for one and I believe it was on sale for $49.99
    It seem kinda like it's a cheap device for that little of a price, even being on sale.
    I would not recommend a Toshiba external hard drive no matter what kind of a computer you're using.
    WD seems to be one of the best.

3. Avizzv92 thread starter macrumors regular

I saw the same ad :p, I was looking for something below $70, and the WD ones didn't get alot of good reviews. The Toshiba one from what I searched around got good reviews.

4. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Well here's a review for WD.
    I have had a WD 160GB Passport External Hard Drive since last Christmas.
    It is amazing and I have had no problems.
    It is pretty fast and I don't detect it failing for awhile.
    Last year my mom found it on Black Friday for only $70.
    If this one is still available it will probably be the same price as the Toshiba.
    And if it's not then they will probably one with a bigger HD somewhere around $70.

Unfortunately I am running out of space so I am looking at a WD 640GB Desktop External HD for only $75 at Office Max, well that's what the price will be tomorrow.
    And since Office Max is usually pretty expensive then tomorrow it may be cheaper than that at Best Buy or Circuit City (most likely Best Buy).