Toshiba 1TB drive die?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OrangeSVTguy, Aug 3, 2011.

1. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Well I've been having reduced performance and beachballs with my Toshiba 1TB HDD. Started making weird noises, not ticking or clicking so I didn't think it was the heads but a noise that I originally thought were coming from the speakers like kinda scratching noise or seeking noise.

I was able to successfully clone it to my 500GB and I just swapped them out. I put my Toshiba into an external and was still making those noises and with reduced performance still.

Now I'm doing a secure 3 write pass and the noises stopped? It's quiet again so I wonder if something got corrupted? My cloned 500GB is running just fine with no issues. I'm going to run some tests on it but will probably just end up RMA'ing it or picking up a pair of the WD or the Samsungs.

2. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

you are refering to the external 1tb toshiba right>

3. OrangeSVTguy, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

My 2.5" Toshiba MK1059GSM 1TB drive. It's external now as I'm running my 500GB in my MBP now.

**edit**

HDD seems like it's hosed. Going to call Toshiba again tomorrow and start the RMA. :(

4. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

wow had no clue that they had one. i just purchased the Western digital one it came today.... Going to begin my upgrade process on thursday or friday....hopefully the hard drive is a good one. then i will install lion.....AHHHH just gets my excited thinking about it.

5. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yeah it was the first 2.5" 1TB drive. Too bad it's 12mm. I think I'm gonna buy a pair of those new WD drives or maybe wait a bit longer for some 7,200rpm drives to come out.