Toshiba 'Blade' SSD in 2010 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by HelsinkiMac, Nov 16, 2010.

1. HelsinkiMac macrumors member

I wondered if anyone had had a look at adding a blade type SSD (i.e. those from/compatible with the new MacBook Air) into the empty space in a 2010 27" iMac that only came with a single HDD? I know that they're not really available for sale yet, but was wondering what the issues with doing this might be? I guess you'd need an adaptor from the blade to the spare SATA cable, are there any issues with the controller used in the Toshiba blade SSD or others and the iMac?

The advantage over buying the iMac with SSD from Apple is obviously cost. It's a shame Apple don't offer a smaller SSD option, as the main difference for most people is probably user interface speed increases, so only the OS and most often used software applications need to be on the SSD, most media can be on the HD unless you are actively accessing huge amounts of it for i.e. video editing or processing. I'd imagine you could get away with a 64/80GB model, lots of people have modified iMacs to fit 100/128G SSDs and like them just fine.

Compared with doing the modification yourself with a 2.5" SSD, the advantages would presumably ease of fit into the spare space, as currently you either have to do a DIY bodge in the existing space (velcro etc), or buy brackets from Apple or others and change that too. The blade is presumably small and light enough that it could be very easily attached. Some Apple resellers will already do the 2.5" addition, it might be easier for them to do this one too.

Disadvantages to DIY 2.5" SSD would I guess be SSD speed, lack of large capacity options, possibly controller incompatibility (but I think I have read that most SSDs and controllers are fine in the 27" iMac), and potentially price (though probably still a lot cheaper than buying the 256Gb option direct from Apple).

Anyway, interested in any thoughts on this, will be looking at an i7 27" iMac pretty much at the same time as the blade style SSDs come on the market and wondered about saving a lot of money and possibly difficulty by going with one.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The controller in the blade SSD is exactly same as in SSDs that Apple offers. In theory it should work, you'll just need an adapter like this.

3. bossxii macrumors 68000

Not only have I thought about it, I'm hopeing when the 256gig versions come out to see if they are possible to install.

Thanks Hellhammer for the link! I'll be trying this hopefully over the new year break from work assuming I can afford the 256gig version. Not sure what the price point will be but give or take $500 i'd be interested in doing this type of install.

Since bringing my 09 i7 iMac up to 12gigs the performance boost has been very good and satisfied my "need for speed" for a while heh. These however would be a no brainer as they would likely fit into the iMac without major surgery.

4. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

Like the best stock control systems the world over, the stock level of that store linked showed -22 in stock when I looked! I had to laugh!

5. HelsinkiMac thread starter macrumors member

Excellent looks like there is some interest in this then! Will look forwards to you trying this bossxii! I hadn't thought of that, but I suppose there is a good chance that it will fit into the older iMacs that weren't planned for having an extra SSD, but will there be enough SATA cables in there or will it be a case of splitting one to provide two?

HellHammer - one of the problems I had was that Toshiba have been very coy about saying what the actual connector on the Blade is, one of their tech documents says 'custom'! Is it definitely slimSATA as is the cable you linked to, and is slimSATA the same as mSATA (miniSATA or microSATA depending on where you read it!) or not?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The SSD is (well, was) a custom part but the connector seems to be a normal mSATA (as said in the teardown). The cable I linked should be what you need (other places sell similar cables too) but of course, I cannot guarantee that since I haven't tried one.

It's definitely mSATA though, compare this and this

7. 8solo5 macrumors newbie

dear Hellhammer, i have found this thread by Google, I have a question.

I have a macbook air 2011 ssdcard, if I want to use it in a macbook, what kind of adapter I have to buy?

Thanks

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple seems to be using a custom connector, actually. Apple's blade SSDs have 6+12 bins, while mSATA has 8+18. You could try an adapter like this but I don't know if it works. Your best option would be to sell the SSD anyway and invest on a regular 2.5" SSD. You can't mount the SSD properly, which makes it more vulnerable.