Toshiba Camileo S10

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ggt, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ggt macrumors regular

Hi

Anyone had any experience with the Toshiba Camileo S10?

I would like to know if it works with iMovie 09. I can't find any review that mentions mac compatibility so i'm guessing it doesn't.

2. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

It depends on the file format. What codec does it use to make the HD video? Is the codec h.264 or is the camera AVCHD compliant?

3. ggt thread starter macrumors regular

Just found this 'Camileo S10 and P10 is able to record 1080p Full HDvideo in H.264 HD format'

so it may work then?...

4. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

It should. I have a travel camera I use occasionally that is h.264 and it works fine. The only difference is that it is a SD rather than HD camera. It's a file drag and import, but it works.

5. faxao macrumors regular

Just bought the Camileo S10.....

...and I can confirm that the .mov files are Mac compatible (being H264 MPEG4). You just have to drag and drop them onto your Mac (I have an iMac 3,06 intel). Unfortunately iMovie 09 does not recognise the Camileo but it will be able to work on the camcorder's files as long as you manually import them.
    Camileo S10 is very good value for money IMHO (I paid E 150,00 - USD 200,00).:p

6. ggt thread starter macrumors regular

Great cheers. I'm looking to get one for Glastonbury.

Do you know if iMovie's video stabilisation works with the files? Looking on Apple's list for compatibility, it doesn't look like it supports many camera's

7. faxao macrumors regular

Yes the iMovie09 stabilization works with the Camileo S10 even if, being such an ultra-light camcorder, cannot do miracles......you'd better be very steady during the capture of your movies otherwise no stabilization feature will "smooth" your footage.;)

Enjoy your Camileo.....:D

8. ursulakis macrumors newbie

so it woks with mac? pls tell cos i like to buy but don't find information if it works or not with a mac osx

9. faxao macrumors regular

Yes, it does work with Macs....no problems whatsoever:D

10. slanshroom macrumors newbie

.Avi

Just bought one, i,m getting .AVI instead of .mov when i upload is that because the "optional" SD card is a necessity?

thx in advance

11. Maeglin macrumors newbie

Avi format

Same problem here. Its outputting in .avi so i have to convert (and takes alot of time)

Mine is ducati version , although i believe the difference its the included 4GB card and the color :p

12. slanshroom macrumors newbie

I changed file types through i skysoft media converter t .mov which has never been a prob with any other file, getting the movie but with no sound, looks like i,ll be buying a card

13. Maeglin macrumors newbie

I have the card and it still outputs as avi. Our problem dosent reside on the card ofc. For some reason tough the manual says h264 Mov and not avi. Go figure ..

14. slanshroom macrumors newbie

ok only other way then is convert it t .mov mike up & record the voice from the camcorder into Pro Tools or similar mix down then import & sync the vid & audio separate with imovie HD.I,ll be using this for the most part in a home studio anyway so theres no need to use the mic on the camileo but if your travelling light without laptop n mic & want the recorded sound of the environment using the camera i cant think of any other solution if its outputing .AVI without audio

15. simax macrumors newbie

Toshiba changing the output format? :(

I have the same problem. I bought this camera because it was compatible with iMovie (among other reasons, but that being a must), and now I find myself having to go through the painful process of re-encoding (sort of) every single file before editing them on iMovie.

Slanshroom, there is an easier method. Use VLC to output to a .mov using the same specs of the original .avi (resolution, codec, rate, etc). This works and you can then import the resulting file to iMovie keeping both the video and audio (to the best of my knowledge). Go through the streaming/output wizard and just don't change any of the audio settings; on the video, just change the container.

VLC is free. http://www.videolan.org

Still, this is completely unacceptable. The manual for my Toshiba Camileo S10 still states that the files that it creates are .mov. Did Toshiba change this suddenly and without even updating the info on the product? :mad::mad::mad:

iMovie does NOT recognize the camera. Instead, iPhoto does recognize it as a still picture camera, and it does import the videos. Still, they are NOT exportable to iMovie unless re-encoded. I am just using VLC because it is the best-fit tool for the job.

16. Maeglin macrumors newbie

Avi format

yeap , i checked my box , and since its a Ducati version the box its new. So on box its says avi format and on Manual inside says .Mov ... also people on toshiba forums are saying the same thing happened with them but those boxes said .mov.
    It seams also that the change occurred around November.

17. simax macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info, Maeglin. Do you have links to those threads?

Has anyone found a better solution? VLC allows you to drag-n-drop all your video files to a playlist, then go through the streaming/output wizard (~12 clicks) and it will convert all of them.
    Clearly not the best because, even though you are not really re-encoding, it still needs to read and write those files. I am no video expert by any means but I think VLC itself is acceptably efficient.

Ideally there would be a way to revert the firmware in the camera to write .mov files. Even better, a menu option for it.

:(

Thanks.

18. Maeglin macrumors newbie

Some i could find quick :D

http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=181607&#181607

19. slanshroom macrumors newbie

Worked great thx, however after receiving a Sony Cyber-Shot 12.1 pixel camera that takes amazing clear video with better audio t boot both day AND night thats mac friendly "only 40 bucks more btw" the Toshiba,s goin t wind up being someone elses Windows friendly birthday smile ;)

20. dionnehoutzager macrumors newbie

Can someone guide me through?

Hi,

I've got the same problem...
    Could someone give me some more detailed information how to convert the files with help of the VLC program? I've tried but without any results.
    Also, when I play the files with VLC the movie is not so fluid...

thanks for all your helpful posts so far!

Dion

21. MistaSmiff macrumors newbie

I've been playing with the settings for ages trying all kinds of variations with VLC and MPEG Streamclip , even converting to mov and back again, the outcome is the same which is very very poor quality. :mad:

Does anyone have the solution to this or does the S10 need to be launched out of the window ?? :eek:

22. MistaSmiff macrumors newbie

Got fed up and returned it to the store and bought a Sanyo VPC CG10, 100% Mac Compatible :D

23. jybarralis macrumors newbie

convertion with Miro

Hi, same problem as everybody
    i tried to convert with Miro Video Converter (free) into MMP4.
    IMovie09 imported it no problem
    Hope this help