Toshiba External Drive not Recognized in Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by enfantdecristal, Dec 4, 2015.

1. enfantdecristal macrumors newbie

enfantdecristal

Ok so I have a brand new Toshiba external hard drive that worked fine on my mac before I updated to El Capitan, but now the drive won't show up in finder nor does it show up on the desktop. However, I can see it in disk utility. How do I get the drive to appear on my mac's finder so I can access my files?

2. riferrarr macrumors newbie

riferrarr

Did you check Finder Preferences? Show on Desktop and Show in Sidebar?

3. enfantdecristal thread starter macrumors newbie

enfantdecristal

Yes, my settings are set so that external hard drives must show up in finder, but the drive still doesn't appear.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

How is the drive formatted?

Is it HFS+ (Mac)?
    Or is it some kind of Windows-type format?

If nothing else works, you could try this:
    1. Take the drive to a computer that CAN "see it", and copy anything you wish to save to another disk (if this doesn't matter, skip to step 2).
    2. Take the drive back to your Mac and re-initialize it to HFS+ with journaling enabled.
    3. RE-copy anything you want back onto it.

5. enfantdecristal thread starter macrumors newbie

enfantdecristal

The drive is already formatted to work with mac. I bought it in July and was able to save a lot of my files on it. The next time I used it was after I updated my mac to El Capitan and now it will not show up. I would like to find a way to access it without having to erase the disk. Would re-initializing the disk cause the data to be erased?

6. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

do not re-initialize, you WILL lose your data. it shows up in Disk Utility... is the option to mount the disk there? is "show external disks" checked in the sidebar preferences (under Finder preferences)?

7. enfantdecristal thread starter macrumors newbie

enfantdecristal

No, I am unable to mount the disk. Yes, "show external disks" is checked in the sidebar preferences.

8. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

You are encountering a problem with some external drives noted in the El Capitan forum. No resolution has been found yet. It seems to be an issue with other USB devices also.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ont-show-up-in-el-capitan-unresolved.1891746/

I think some people have reverted to an earlier OS and are waiting for El Capitan updates that will hopefully help with their problem.

9. enfantdecristal thread starter macrumors newbie

enfantdecristal

Thank you for your reply. Do you know how I would be able to revert to an earlier OS? Would that affect any of the materials I have saved on my computer hard drive?

10. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

What was your previous OS? Did you install/download the previous OS or was it what came with your Mac? Do you have a back up of your system before upgrading to El Capitan?