Toshiba external hard drive doesn't work on my rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hj123456, Jul 11, 2014.

1. hj123456 macrumors newbie

I just purchased a late 13'' rMBP and I can't get the Toshiba external drive to work on it. I've checked the External disks option on Finder's preferences tab, but it's not being recognized... I've plugged it in & out several times, tried both USB ports, but it STILL doesn't show up on Disk Utility :( The blue light on the drive does come on however.

It connects to a Windows laptop with no problem, and I even tried changing the format of it to FAT32. Googling didn't help much... saw that a lot of people were having a problem getting their HD to recognize after some OS updates, but couldn't find a solution.

:( :( anyone know how to fix this??

2. berker macrumors newbie

Which Toshiba HDD do you have?

I am using Toshiba Canvio Slim and has no problem for over 6 months. Yet, I am using only Mac OS X Journaled format.

Can you also try MAC OS X HFS+format, just to see if it will work?

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If it's not showing up in Disk Utility then it's not a filesystem issue.

Is there a separate connection for a power supply? I'm not sure about the newer MBPs but my old 2006 wouldn't see drives unless they were powered (this doesn't seem to be as much of a problem on my 2011, but I don't know about on the "retina" machines).

4. hj123456 thread starter macrumors newbie

Toshiba Canvio 1.0 TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - HDTC610XK3B1

This is the one I have. I want to format it to HFS but I don't know how to do that on a Windows laptop. The only options within the properties were NTFS and FAT32. That's why I was gonna connect it to my rMBP and format it from Disk Utility (that's what most websites I found stated), but my macbook doesn't even recognize it so I can't format to HFS.

5. berker macrumors newbie

Hmmm, that seems weird! My guess is either your OS X has some failure or a flaw that resulted this "recognition" problem or the controller on the HDD has a problem all of a sudden. Yet, if you have a friend or a nearby Apple Store, try on a different macbook, just to confirm it is not caused by your OS X system.

6. hj123456 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you explain more on that please? I don't know what you mean by a separate connection for a power supply

----------

Yeah I guess I'll have to try going to the Apple Store if Internet doesn't solve my problem! I really hope it's not a problem within my macbook though, I literally just purchased this few hours ago haha...