Toshiba mk5065gsxf - built in SMS?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bozz2006, May 27, 2011.

1. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I've been looking for quite a while trying to figure out if the stock HDD on my 2011 15" MBP has built in sudden motion sensors and can be safely moved to the optical bay, but I'm not having any luck finding the answer. Do you know if this HDD has built in SMS?

2. emfsfo macrumors newbie

From the Toshiba page

3. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Sweet! Thanks for finding that for me. I couldn't even pull that drive up on Toshiba's site. Maybe they have different sites for different product types and I was at the wrong one. Anyway, thanks again!

4. cow007 macrumors newbie

RE: Toshiba mk5065gsxf - built in SMS?

Yes! It appears to, it makes a very loud click when the heads park and when I put it inside an enclosure it still did this! Seems that it gets activated or deactivated by OSX, I have even had problems turning it off in the past! Seems kind of redundant and come to think of it this drive is *JUNK*. I expect HDDS to suck but not this bad; I have already 2 go bad on me! One was in an enclosure- it happened when it got pulled down by it's cord when I moved my MBP. It fell about a foot laterally INTO MY HAND. And developed unrecoverable write and read errors halfway through. Sudden motion sensor off. Second time around SMS was ON!! I wasn't going to make the mistake again so esteticly unattractive as it was I made sure to leave the SMS on. Again *CRAP*. I boot off of a OWC 6G SSD! I am glad for it because w/o it I would be hurting like someone swapped my favorite bong for a modified soda can.

Attached Files: