Toshiba SSD failed...more people with that problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Galatian, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Galatian macrumors 6502

Galatian

Hey,

after almost an entire month with my new MacBook Air 13" 2012 (i5, 4 GB RAM and 126 GB SSD) my SSD failed over the weekend. I noticed it first while using Windows, when I had a Blue Screen appearing (first one since almost a decade), but I didn't think anything of it. Then on Monday at University Lion would just beachball and not respond to anything. While restarting no Apple logo and after a while just the blinking folder with question mark in it. Later that day it would boot fine again and I used that time to make a full backup. On tuesday it would fail me again at University and since then I could not do anything for the MBA to see the SSD. So I went to the nearest Gravis Store and they will take care of it. Guess the SSD controller failed. Of course this all happens one weak before my exams...So much for Murphy's Law...

The odd things is that the guy at the Gravis Store here in Berlin said, they had an unusual high amount of returns this summer, because of the harddisk, hence it would take them 5 days at least to get it repaired. I was wondering wether this is just because more units with SSD were sold (MacBook Air and MacBook Pro Retina) or if something is really wrong with those Toshiba SSDs and/or theirs Sandforce Controller? Haven't heard to good things about it...

2. carlos00 macrumors newbie

I wouldn't think there is a widespread problem with the Toshiba SSD failing.. if there was I am sure we'll know about it on the MacRumors forum ;)

Components fail all the time, yours was just probably just a one off... The genius is maybe right and refering to older Macs; mechanical hard drive failure returns are quite common (I have had several on MBPs), we are lucky we dont have those on these new MBA's

3. DrStern macrumors member

DrStern

The SSD on my mid 2010 model failed after about 5 months of use. The "genius" said that hardly ever happens, but I've seen multiple similar reports on line (back when the failure occurred in mid 2011.) I had to buy another machine so I could work while they replaced the SSD on my machine, then return the one I bought once it was fixed.

Now I have a Macbook Pro, so my air is my backup machine. I think the SSDs have gotten better though. (particularly those with the Samsung models.)