Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JurgenWigg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2006
Baltimore
I remember back in August that Toshiba announced they would start mass producing higher density 32 GB NAND flash memory in Q4 2008 - something that was linked to a possible 32 gb iPhone rumor.

Does anyone know if/when this actually started happening? All I've been able to find is the original announcement.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I don't know about that, but I know at least one other company (Samsung?) announced 32GB chips as well. I'm betting on price slashes on the 16GB model, a 32GB model "available soon" (February?) and the 8GB is either discontinued or drops to $149. I don't think Apple would want a $399 iPhone again, and I don't really think they'd want 3 models. But that's all a guess.

Daveecee

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
FL
What I am hoping is that the 32GB phone is announced at MacWorld next Tuesday, and available immediately. I don't understand why they would have to wait until February to release it if announced. The chips are already in mass production and available for usage by Apple.

JurgenWigg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2006
Baltimore
I guess the problem might be that if they started mass producing them, say, last week, they may not have enough for an appropriate release and may say available later. If they started mass producing them in october, no problem I say.

I'm really hoping for a 32 gb iphone at 299...

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
I don't know why .... but I'm just not seeing a 32gb iPhone until the summer. New colours and all.

I dunno ... maybe I'll be eating my words in a few days, but I just don't see it.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
If they did a early upgrade again... I'd jump at the chance.. My 16Gb iPhone has 1Gb left and thats because I'm trying to keep it clear!

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
What I am hoping is that the 32GB phone is announced at MacWorld next Tuesday, and available immediately. I don't understand why they would have to wait until February to release it if announced. The chips are already in mass production and available for usage by Apple.

That was just a guess. I didn't know if those chips were in mass production or if Apple had the time to implement them. It would be about time for a storage upgrade at both price points considering how memory seems to have dropped a lot in price but the iPhone still costs the same it did 6 months ago. It would also be nice for the $299 to become $249 because I guarantee you those 16GB chips aren't $100 more than the 8GB.

Stuart in Oz

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Sydney, Australia
If they did a early upgrade again... I'd jump at the chance.. My 16Gb iPhone has 1Gb left and thats because I'm trying to keep it clear!

I've got the exact same problem with my 16GB 1st gen Touch - I need 32GB in my iPhone.

And my Palm Treo 750 pos is finally crapping out with the keyboard, so please let the capacity upgrade be next week!

Daveecee

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
FL
That was just a guess. I didn't know if those chips were in mass production or if Apple had the time to implement them. It would be about time for a storage upgrade at both price points considering how memory seems to have dropped a lot in price but the iPhone still costs the same it did 6 months ago. It would also be nice for the $299 to become $249 because I guarantee you those 16GB chips aren't $100 more than the 8GB.
Chips were supposed to go into mass production Q4 so, if all went well, it's not a stretch!

Aurial

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
Assuming there's going to be a V3 iPhone released sometime in the summer, it would be good timing to introduce a storage bump to 32GB to boost the sales a bit before then.

Indy21

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2008
I'm hoping for a 32gigger soon as well.

I still haven't got an iphone yet and I'd love to have one with plenty of storage so I won't have to worry as much about filling it up with movies games and music. When I get one I do not plan on upgrading for atleast a year or probably more like 2 years, so I want plenty of space to last me for a while.

If not in the first quarter of 09 I may just hold off 'till summer.

Is WWDC the same date/time every year?

nconnella

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
Question for someone with macworld experience:
If a 32gb Iphone is announced at macworld, when would the release date probably be? When apple announces a new product does the release date usually follow shortly after? Or could it be as long as Summer? How has apple acted in the past when announcing a new/udpated product? Thanks!

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Question for someone with macworld experience:
If a 32gb Iphone is announced at macworld, when would the release date probably be? When apple announces a new product does the release date usually follow shortly after? Or could it be as long as Summer? How has apple acted in the past when announcing a new/udpated product? Thanks!

Shortly after. ~2 weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.