toslink producing no sound on receiver

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by plummpj, Mar 4, 2013.

1. plummpj macrumors newbie

I have a 90's vintage Yamaha surround sound receiver connected to my Apple TV via the TOSLINK digital optical cable. I'm not able to get any sound whatsoever out of the TOSLINK - Apple TV connection. The receiver produces fine surround sound from my Blu-Ray player via TOSLINK, but only when the Samsung Blu-Ray player is in "Audiophile" mode. The receiver also works with my Samsung TV TOSLINK output on Hi-Def broadcasts.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

can you see a red light in the fiber?

there is a setting in "audio & Video" called "audio output", that might sort you out.

3. palmharbor macrumors 6502

Toslink

This kind of audio cable often has problems....its made of fiberglass strands.
    Replace it or if possible, see if there is a "digital audio" output and buy a cable and use it. Make sure an output goes to an input.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

^^This, but there are less fragile cables now, but tend to be expensive, the problem with fiberglass and people is that many people fold cables and tie them up, this is fatal for these cables, same goes for Coax TV/Sat Cable, although not fatal the quality goes down substantially.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

fiberglass is not the same as glass fiber.

most toslink cables are actually plastic and not glass.

while they are a bit fragile, as long as you keep them gently coiled (a few inches in diameter) and don't pull them around a sharp corner, you're normally OK.

they are not expensive, you're just buying from the wrong place and paying to much.
    you can get them from monoprice.com for under $2

6. plummpj thread starter macrumors newbie

Cable is fine

I don't think the problem is the cable or the receiver port. I actually used a TOSLINK cable that was working and re-connected it to the Apple TV box. I can see the red output as well.

----------

I only found two audio output options in the Apple TV setup. 16 bit or not. Neither works. I'm wondering about compatibility since the blu-ray player didn't work either by default-- as I said I had to change the blu-ray player to a special "Audiophile" setting to get the receiver to work with it. I don't understand anything about surround sound decoders though.

7. palmharbor macrumors 6502

try this

Some HD tv's have a digital audio output, so you could connect the apple tv unit HDMI output to the HDMI input on the tv, then connect a cable from the digital audio output [on the back of the TV] to the digital audio
    input on the surround sound receiver and that is the way U could feed the audio signal to the receiver.
    I have an inexpensive 32" HD Proton set in the bedroom and it has this feature. Forget the Toslink completely.