iPhone Total blow from Verizon

rosenbaa29

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Well yeah, but is re establishes a tower connection with the 4g device Only way to do it on that phone.

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
*228 is something that was for 3G devices where network authentication was done via 3G, but with 4G phones it's handled by the 4G radio and thus the 4G sim card. So in theory just make sure everything is correct on the Verizon website and then to force a MDN re-detect sort of thing, go to the Settings app -> General -> Reset -> and select Reset Network Settings.

That should do it, although I cannot say I've tested doing that. It's just my hunch.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
*228 is not needed on the iP5. Here is info from Verizon (quoted below).

Congrats on getting your iPhone 5. Our 4G devices no longer support the *228 option. All updates are OTA (over the air) thru the sim card. We do recommend periodically shutting off your phone and pulling the sim card. This will also refresh your device as well as the Network. If you feel that you aren't receiving coverage, the iPhone allows you to reset Network settings. This will assist you phone in located the nearest Verizon "network" tower. You are able to do this by the following steps: settings, general, reset, reset network settings.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
*228 is something that was for 3G devices where network authentication was done via 3G, but with 4G phones it's handled by the 4G radio and thus the 4G sim card. So in theory just make sure everything is correct on the Verizon website and then to force a MDN re-detect sort of thing, go to the Settings app -> General -> Reset -> and select Reset Network Settings.

That should do it, although I cannot say I've tested doing that. It's just my hunch.
This

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005

This again. *228 is not for (Verizon) LTE devices, iPhone included.

Though the bit above regarding pulling the SIM card... I don't think that's necessary at all. At worst, a reboot or airplane mode toggle on/off will force the network to renegotiate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.