Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JesseJames

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this machine.
It looks decent. It had Chuck huffing pretty good in the infomercial.
I don't really want to bulk up. Just get lean and toned. I think this machine would be good for that.
Basically, I want to strength train.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Chuck Norris never sleeps, he just waits.

I don't have much time for these machines. I find jogging or swimming is usually enough to keep me fit. The key is consistency. Make yourself a schedule and stick to it. Don't start out too hard and don't be disappointed by slow results because as slow as they may be, they will still happen. Spend your money at Apple. :)

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Someone once tried to tell Chuck Norris that roundhouse kicks aren't the best way to kick someone. This has been recorded by historians as the worst mistake anyone has ever made.

I think you should do whatever chuck says.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Ah!!!!! Informercials have seeped into MR.
Ah!!!! Your cobsidering buying from infomercial.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Koodauw said:
Someone once tried to tell Chuck Norris that roundhouse kicks aren't the best way to kick someone. This has been recorded by historians as the worst mistake anyone has ever made.

I think you should do whatever chuck says.
That just really made me laugh :D

OT though, it's the word 'infomercial' that would put me off right away...

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Chuck Norris is currently suing NBC, claiming Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2005
UK
Wouldnt it be better to join a gym and seek professional advise as to what goals you want to set and how to get there?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Well, all humor aside, the total gym is actually a decent machine for the home user. The one thing that you--as well as everyone else needs to know is that there is never a "total" anything. No machine will ever give you the entire workout that your body needs/deserves. This will certainly get you a good workout, it'll provide the resistance training you need, but you also want to get your metabolism up and cardio is extremely important for this. Between cardio and resistance training you will be lean and tone. Just remember, that if you want to be cut and bulky you need to use more weights. If you want lean and tone use less and be consistent. If your body can do 150# then you should do 75#. Be consistent, work in circuits some days, others just do cardio. Mix it up and keep it up. If you can do 30 minutes a day 7 days a week that is awesome. Most people get 4-5 days in though. Finally, you would want to make sure you're getting the right foods in you to help with your metabolism.

I am moving, if I weren't I'd get that total gym and ride my bike. I find it easier to work out at home rather than the gym right now. However, my new place as a 24 hour fitness center and I intend to use it.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Chuck Norris is not hung like a horse... horses are hung like Chuck Norris.

Anyway, all these gyms, even the infomercial gym sets, aren't bad. They all do the same thing though, so remember that. They all provide resistance. That's it.

And if you really want to get fit, remember to do your cardio. You can lift heavy weights all day if you want, but you'll end up with these arms that look like logs ---- huge, but no "definition" whatsoever. You'll have to cut the body fat by doing cardio. Jogging is good, but if you can swim, then do it. Or do both. I do.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Chuck Norris sold his soul to the devil for his rugged good looks and unparalleled martial arts ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Chuck roundhouse kicked the devil in the face and took his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every second Wednesday of the month.

I don't know how well this machine would work, I'd just try a gym ...

Applexilef

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
Chuck Norris built a time machine and went back in time to stop the JFK assassination. As Oswald shot, Chuck met all three bullets with his beard, deflecting them. JFK's head exploded out of sheer amazement.

Chuck Norris always has sex on the first date. Always.

Chuck Norris has passed gas once. Its now known as the Bubonic Plague.

Chuck Norris solo-ed Everest in shorts and a tank-top.

Based on those few facts, I would definitely buy a Total Gym...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Chuck Norris once got in touch with his feminine side and got her pregnant.

Actually, joining a proper gym may give you motivation like it does to most people, since nobody likes to look like dishevelled in front of a bunch of other guys and girls. Cost is a factor, but how much does this Total Gym cost anyway?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.