"total height" comparison MBA vs MBpro 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by McMario, Mar 30, 2017.

1. McMario macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I am considering to buy a new MBpro 13 with touchbar.

Currently, I am a very satisfied MBA 13" (since 2011, currently latest model of 2015), but I like the higher resolution & brightness, while reducing size in parallel, at the same weight.

BUT, my big concern is:
    - what is the *actual* height of the palm rest, i.e. if you put the notebook on a flat surface & measure the front height (lid open, of course)? Point is, all the specs only measure the thickness at the front side, which obviously doesn't reflect the actual height. Like 3mm with MBA, but put on a table the height is actually more like 10-12mm.
    - What is the relative battery runtime between the two? I love my MBA which can almost perform a whole working day on batteries... if I get only 80% of that performance, that would be ok, but 50% runtime would be bad...

Many thanks in advance,
    M

2. theitsage, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017

theitsage Suspended

The MBA is lower to the table surface at the trackpad area. They are very close though and would probably feel the same. Here's a photo I took when doing eGPU testing on Mac laptops. The stack started with a 2015 11" MBA on top. Then it was Late 2016 13" MBP, Late 2016 15" MBP, and 2011 17" MBP.

Get the non-Touch Bar MBP. The battery life will be the same if not better than the 2015 13" MBA.

egpu-for-mac-three-generations-of-thunderbolt.jpg