Total mac meltdown..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Niteace, May 25, 2011.

1. Niteace macrumors member

Hey all,

If anyone can help with this I would really appreciate it!
    My Macbook pro (mid 2010) has just basically melted down.

I had windsows 7 installed under bootcamp. Windows installed a new update, restarted. Instead of booting to osx like it normally does, it had an unusual symbol instead of the grey apple logo. It was like a do not enter sign and wouldnt boot up. So i turned it off, booted to windows, and in my computer it showed the macintosh hd but when i clicked it, it showed it as completely empty. I restated it again and now it doesnt boot at all, into either operating system. Just a grey blank screen, windows recovery comes up, displays a message saying it cannot repair, restarts and is stuck in that loop.
    I tired inserting the mac install disk to try to repair disk permissions, partition table etc but the drive just spits out the cd.
    Also its out of warranty 2 months :(

So where do i go from here?? any ideas?
    Can i boot from a usb drive maybe to recover my data?

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

They should still be able to offer you a diagnostic scan in an Apple Store, can you make it in there?

3. Niteace thread starter macrumors member

I'm afraid not. Nearest apple store is nearly 4 hours drive away. I'll prob have to bring it to local pc repair. Was hoping to find a cheaper solution tho.

4. adrian1480 macrumors 6502

I assume this means you made no Time Machine/CCC/Super Duper backups?

I've never heard of a Bootcamp install blanking the OSX drive. Is it possible you accidentally formatted your OSX drive during the Windows 7 installation process when it asks you to choose the drive to format?

Honestly...you're looking at a total loss of your OS X installation. You're going to have to reinstall OS X onto the appropriate drive. Your bootcamp installation will continue to work, so you don't have to worry about that part...but OS X is gone.

Hopefully you have a Time Machine backup or something.

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

That sounds like a hard drive failure. Can you try booting from an external drive?

6. Niteace thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply.
    I swore after the last time I lost a hard drive I would maintain backups!!
    So.. I do have a time machine backup...however, nothing in life is simple.
    Last week I got a message saying time machine would like to do a complete backup because it was concerned about the integrity of the backup. Unfortunately I didn't do that yet. So I have a backup there, but I don't know if it will work or not. Compounding the problem is that the cd drive is refusing to work :( I was clinging on to hope of trying to sort it by USB?

7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

One clarifying question--can you boot it in Windows, or is that now gone also?

If you can boot in Windows, I don't know. If you can't boot in windows, then I think your hard drive has failed catastrophically.

8. Niteace thread starter macrumors member

Just in response to your other comment there, it's not a new windows installation. Windows 7 has been working fine for a few months now. So no chance of accidentally deleting partition or anything. Also, neither operating system will boot now. Windows tries to repair, fails and restarts.

9. Niteace thread starter macrumors member

Oh that doesn't sound great. I'm installing osx onto external drive, gonna try boot from that, I'll let ye know how that goes.

10. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I hope that's the problem, else it could be worse.