Total Mobile Upgrade. is it time ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Retromac2008, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Retromac2008 macrumors regular

Retromac2008

I m still using:

- Macbook Air 2008 (1.86 GHz - 2Gb Ram - 120 Gb SSD - Nvidia 9400m) MacOSX El Capitan
    - Apple Magic Mouse
    - Apple Earpods
    Perfect, no problems at all, i use it always and it s like new

- Iphone 4S (Apple A5) (White) IOS 9
    - Ipad 2
    (Apple A5) (White) IOS 9
    - Apple Earpods

a little slow, but ok

as desktop macs i have 3 imac 27 5k, but i m usually not at home, so i don t use em.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The upgrade i have in mind is :

- Macbook 12 Space Gray
    - Iphone 7 Plus Jet Black
    - Ipad Pro Space Gray

i prefer all Jet black, but there are no macs or ipads Jet Black.

is it a good idea ? is it time to upgrade? i don t find a big difference for my light use atm
    --- Post Merged, Nov 29, 2016 ---
    i m scared about 12" small screen BTW

2. DNichter macrumors 601

DNichter

I don't think you need an iPad if you are getting a 7 plus. I recently upgraded to just a 7 plus and a 12 inch MacBook and I love the combination. Meets all my needs. The 12 inch screen is great, adjust to 1440 x 900 and you have plenty of space.

3. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

I'm an old dude, and the 12 inch is my daily, and I still program a bit, so the real estate of the 12-inch isn't a deal breaker, for me. I know some need 6 feet of screen across 3 monitors, but that never suited me. Learn a few keyboard shortcuts and flip between stuff. The way I see it, you can only focus in one spot anyway. ;-)

I have the 7 as DNicter does, I have an old iPad Mini (2) that I prefer to read while in bed, but honestly I will not be replacing that when it goes. I've found when I take the minimalist path, I can focus more on what I need to do ...

4. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

If it serves your purpose, why spend? Once your needs (not wants) surpass the technology you own, then upgrade.

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

You can use a non-native resolution to have the same amount of screen space your current Air has, and still notice a huge upgrade in display quality. Trust me, by today's standards the late 2008/mid 2009 MacBook Air's display quality sucks. In fact, all MacBook Airs up to the 2015 models look pretty bad to me.

I will say again, this is a HUGE upgrade over a late 2008 MacBook Air. The only things that might be a slight downgrade are the keyboard/port situation; the keyboard is simply something you might have to adjust to.