Total NEWB been searching for days tried it all..HELP! =/

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by slow 3.0, Nov 7, 2011.

1. slow 3.0 macrumors newbie

Hello, everyone!!!
    Quick sum up:
    -acquired iPhone 3gs
    -wanted to jailbreak and use on tmobile
    -tinkered around blindly updating to ios5
    -attempted downgrade
    -totally effed up entire phone

What I would like to accomplish:
    Start fresh. Even if it means not being able to jailbreak or unlock but just have an iPhone that can be used properly, as designed. I tried hacking and FAILED, learned my lesson and just want to be a good boy and bring everything back to its legit state.

Is this possible? Ive been messing with tiny umbrella, redsn0w, iRecovery, blablablabla...nothing is helping. I dont want to hack anymore and just want a nice, updated, fresh iPhone 3gs to either sell or get properly activated.

Anyone????

2. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

you didn't do any 'hacking' for starters.

Anyhow, pop your device into DFU and restore through iTunes to get the device back to stock. Use the 5 f/w, if you're not bothered about jailbreaking and/or/ don't have blobs saved.

3. TC25 macrumors 68020

If you successfully updated to iOS5 via iTunes, then you updated the baseband and you will not be able to unlock the phone via software therefore will not be able to use on TMobile.

4. slow 3.0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, for correcting me on "hacking". I have tried popping the phone into DFU both through the holding power/home method and forced redsn0w method. Both ways still result in iTunes errors. Hence, my frustrations. :(
    Any other suggestions?

Also, I do understand that I cannot use the phone (right now) on T-mo because I did update the baseband. I get that and have come to terms with that. lol. Maybe an unlock will be released in the future. Right now, I would still like to pursue just getting it back to a normal, clean slate.

5. slow 3.0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update!!! I done did it! lol
    Here is how I did it. Keep in mind, I tried everything google had to offer. I didnt care about preserving basebands etc, just wanted a fresh iPhine 3gs. After not even having seen a logo on the screen for over 3 days, this is how I got her back.
    -Found a computer the phone had never been in
    -Updated iTunes on that computer
    -plugged in iPhone (was already recognized in DFU mode. Selected, "restore".

That is what did it. I know this may sound simple and I tried this 100 times, the trick for me was using a computer that had never seen the phone and using the latest iTunes.
    So, yeah. Im dumb.
    Now...to jailbreak it again :D

6. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Good to hear you sorted it. FWIW you can only jailbreak tethered at the moment, I believe, on iOS5.

Also I wasn't been rude re: 'hacking', it's just a term that is over used, and usually in the wrong places. :):eek:

7. slow 3.0 thread starter macrumors newbie

EvanLugh,
    All good. I was sweating bullets and all frustrated over here.
    Yes, I just jailbroke again. Not really sure why. Maybe because Im slow at work. Eventually, Im hoping there will be an unlock for the higher basebands. I dont want to jump right to the ipad basebands because I can wait. One thing I learned here...patience.
    Fingers crossed there will be a 05.16.05 baseband unlock sooner rather then later.
    Thanks!

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Your only option is the iPad bb. The dev team isn't likely going to release any more unlocks.

9. slow 3.0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Why not? Seriously not being a wise as, just curious why they wouldn't. Arent all the new phones coming out, running ios 5 going to be running on these higher basebands?

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

11. slow 3.0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ummm...your links arent pointing to what we're talking about. lol.
    I did use iClarified to jailbreak via redsn0w. I didnt install untrasn0w only because I didnt want to upgrade my BB to ipads...breaks GPS from what I hear. I will if they get that sorted out.

Thanks, for the response in baseband, though. I now understand that its tougher to find holes but wouldnt devs keep looking? I would imagine many new phones will want to be unlocked so they can run on t-mobile etc.

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

Ummm you were asking about a unlock that is the only unlock. Just not what you want. if you want to go on t-mobile that's your option 6.15. Nobody kniws if or when there will be any other unlocks. Dev-team hasn't said anything about it in a long time. Best option is always but a factory unlocked phone.