Total newb needs help...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adrake86, Jun 12, 2007.

1. adrake86 macrumors regular

Like how in the heck do I uninstall a program. Like how? I am totally mac newb.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

In most cases, you can simply click a drag the app icon (located in your applications folder) to the trash. :)

3. banjomamo macrumors regular

most of the time just dragging the app's folder or the app itself will suffice.

ericnau beat me to it. there are also some other preference files but id leave them alone if i were you. also - dont delete any of the apps in the utilities folder.

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Most programs you can just drag to the trash.

There may be support files left behind in Home/Library/Application Support or Home/Library Preferences. You usually can do a search for the program name to find these files...in most cases it will just be a small little preferences file that you don't even have to worry about.

There are some programs (such as the new Safari Beta) that come with an uninstaller. If the program you want to uninstall came with an uninstaller, I'd recommend using that rather than just dragging the app icon to the trash.

5. adrake86 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not computer newb but this crap just through me for a loop I can do anything on pc but where the heck is the add remove programs thing on a mac lol. I'm not gonna go in there deleting random stuff just wnated to get rid of a program. Thanks.

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

There are some apps that will have an uninstall app in the folder with the installer, like Safari 3.0 beta does. Most of the time just dragging the app to the trash like others have stated. There are some other files and folders that are located through out the disk, for the part these are really small pref files that only take up around 7-20k, others like LimeWire or the like will place a download folder in your documents folder. If you type in an apps name into spotlight it will highlight all of the folders and files associated with that app.

But for the most part just getting rid of the app itself is more then good.

Thats all there is to it n00b:eek:

enjoy your mac:D

7. insomniac321123 macrumors 6502

If your psychotic about keeping your computer clean (like me;) ) you might check out the program appzapper. It will remove every file associated with an app. Its a good program. Give it a chance.

http://www.appzapper.com/

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I know your past Windows experience has taught you to never delete anything in the "programs" (Applications) folder, but remember, this isn't Windows. ;)

95% of the time, all you do is click and drag the application to the trash, it's that simple! (It really makes a lot of sense when you think about it.)

...If this really makes you nervous, just tell us which app you wish to delete, and we can confirm the proper technique for you. :)