Total newbie G to N switching question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Corrosive vinyl, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

Right not i have 3/4 wireless devices with 802.11n in my house, and thinking of getting a decent cheap n router and going 100% wireless N. I know about how much better N speeds are compared to G, but am confused on real world speeds.

I believe there is a data cap that does not come close to hitting my wireless G speed of 54 MB/s. Would it still be worth it to update from the 54 MB/s to 150 or 300?

More generally, what are the best reasons to update? I am totally confused about why you want such a high transfer rate when the upload/download speeds are so low.

2. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Firstly, even if 3/4 devices have 802.11n, they're still operating at g speeds if your router is only g. Just in case you were misled by that.

Now your question is common. Why go 'n' when my ISP speeds are way less? Well, because not everything you necessarily do goes through your ISP. For example, transferring files from one computer to another would be much faster. Streaming to an Apple TV would be much smoother. Device-device interactions is where you would see the benefit.

I recently bought a 2012 Apple Express. It's awesome and I love it!

3. Corrosive vinyl thread starter macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

okay, I mainly do online games and streaming movies via Netflix,we rarely do anything over the LAN.

If I mainly don't use such features, would it still be worth updating to the newest standard?