Total Newbie .... Macbook & SSD Questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by magpieant, Jun 4, 2014.

1. magpieant macrumors newbie

Hi guys ....

Please be nice, I am TOTAL newbie to the world of Macs !!!

A friend has just given me an old macbook. It is an early 2008 unibody one. the processor is 2.1 Intel Core Duo 2 and it has 4 gig of RAM installed.

Having messed about with, and dismantled many a windows PC, I am contemplating putting an SSD drive in.

Firstly, will this improve the performance greatly ?

Next, I have scouted about for a bit, reading various forums about how to install a new SSD drive. The majority of the posts I have read, direct me to this tutorial ....... http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Core+2+Duo+Hard+Drive+Replacement/514#s2427

Is it really as simple as that? As in when i remove the old HDD, does the same cable plug into the SSD or do i need to do more than this, like change cables etc?

I would be connecting the SSD to the macbook initially to clone the drive before swapping any drives over.

I hope this all makes sense - as stated, its all very new to me, but something I'd like to have a potter about with.

I am in the UK for anyone advising parts, etc to buy.

Thanks in advance!!!

Anth.

2. gooser macrumors 6502a

i believe the instructions you have are for the non unibody macbook. the unibody one has a few more steps. still doable though.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I highly recommend the Samsung 840, 840 Evo, or 840 Pro lines of SSDs. I have a 120 GB SSD (840 Evo) and it has great reliability and support.

4. XoFu macrumors regular

XoFu

+1 for the samsung evo

I have n evo 256 that just installed in my 2010 MBW and it runs really well.
    Check the tutorial for install in ifixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook)

Good luck
    X