Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sosinc3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
I am a recent convert from 20 years of the PC/Windows side. I have a totally silly question. I purchased a used MacBook Pro to start to get more familiar with MACs and I was wondering if the power button to the right of the Delete key is supposed to light up? There is no problem with the laptop and all works fine and the button does what it is supposed to do as far as turning the laptop on but coming from the PC world, I am used to seeing the power button light up when the computer is on.

Thanks.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
No, it is not.
No Mac Portable has never had the power button light up as far as I can remember, and the only desktop that it ever lit up on was my iMac G3.
The Power Button is just that... all it does is turns on and off the unit.
:)

snowboarder943

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I guess you put your MacBook to sleep, then the power button indicates that it's in "stand-by".

If you shut it down completely, the light goes off.

That's the sleep indicator on the front of the laptop, sosinc3 is talking about the actual power button near the eject key. And no that does not light up. Has never. Most likely never will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.