Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farqueue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
Hi there, i am a total noob at this. I know how to take it out and all... but i have just no idea which hardisk to buy.

If anyone could give me an idea/links to which hardisk is best for my macbook that will be great.

Im looking for 100GB 7200RPM drives and above

Will it be noiser than my existing 60gb apple stock hardisk?

thanks

rody2k

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2006
Some where
What's after installing the hard disk???

Sorry!

I would like to ask that after installed the hard disk to the mac book, is there any thing else that i should do... like re-format the hard disk.

Or after installing the hard disk, just put in the cds/dvds that come with the mac book. To install the mac ox into the hard disk?

Thanks!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
To both posters - why are you potentially risking your warranty and certainly data loss by installing new drives?

Consider whether spending the money on a Firewire external hard drive will be a better idea. You would have way more space (250 Gb more rather than 40 Gb more) and faster performance for the same money and no installation work. You would have a bootable backup system drive, plenty of space for daily backups, and room to put any extra files that you don't need to carry with you on the road, thereby freeing up space on the internal. There is a small performance boost going to 7200 RPM, but it is marginal improvement for most uses.

rody2K: Yes, you will first have to boot from the OSX CD, format the drive with disk utility, then install the OS and the included programs. Unless you have backed up your User data first, you will lose all of your data, settings and emails etc.

If you are bound and detweermined to do this, a better plan may be to get an external USB/SATA enclosure, format the new drive in the enclosure, use Carbon Copy Cloner to image your entire hard drive to the new one, THEN install the new drive.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
CanadaRAM said:
To both posters - why are you potentially risking your warranty and certainly data loss by installing new drives?

If you are bound and determined to do this, a better plan may be to get an external USB/SATA enclosure, format the new drive in the enclosure, use Carbon Copy Cloner to image your entire hard drive to the new one, THEN install the new drive.
The MacBooks have an easily-upgraded internal HD, unlike most previous Apple laptops, so the risk is minimal, and assuming that they don't actually break something while upgrading, there's no warranty impact.

I completely agree that the steps you outlined at the end are exactly what should be done. It will ensure no data loss and a setup identical to the original one, plus provides a bootable backup drive, all for the marginal cost increase of an external enclosure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.