Total noob, jailbreak ip4 4.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by speedytobey, Oct 21, 2010.

1. speedytobey macrumors newbie

I have been thinking about jailbreaking and unlocking my ip4 but was never confident enough to do it. I am confused about the steps and what software to get and what files to save first. ex. shsh blob and firmware version mumbo jumbo. What are the steps to jailbreak and unlock a ip4 4.1? thanks

i have jailbreak iphone 2g before but now it seems to be more complicated.
    another question is..... i still have the ip2g but updated to 3.1.x. i m stuck in itunes activation screen. how do i activate it without itunes and then jailbreak it?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cannot unlock an i4 on 4.1
    Just JB it. You can use either pwnage, limerain or green poison.

3. speedytobey thread starter macrumors newbie

so no need to save shsh? which tool is better? i m on a mac

thanks

4. Barneygumble47 macrumors regular

Always save your shsh blobs you never know when you might need them.

download and use tiny umbrella.

5. speedytobey thread starter macrumors newbie

1st run tiny save shsh and then jailbreak? should i backup my current phone on itunes first?

6. Barneygumble47 macrumors regular

Yes back up first the save shsh then JB. You can use either JB tool I used limera1n simply because it was first out.

7. speedytobey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, now what about after jb, back up and sync as you would normally on itunes? if i want to revert, just do a full restore and sync with the original backup? and then sync again to get the app data from after the jb?

can anyone answer my ip 2g question? i want to jb that sucker too

8. Barneygumble47 macrumors regular

Yes but if you want to back up your JB apps and settings from cydia I suggest you use Pkgbackup.

I have no idea about your other prob.

9. pectin232 macrumors 6502

If I currently have 4.02 iPhone 4 do I save the SHSH blobs first before upgrading to 4.1 in iTunes or after I have upgraded to 4.1 in iTunes >>> then save the SHSH Blobs using TinyUmbrella?? I heard that upgrading to to 4.1 through iTunes will upgrade your Baseband... is that true?

10. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

Using TinyUmbrella save your blobs then JB with one of the three JB tools mentioned earlier.

11. tesilential macrumors regular

I finally upgraded from jb 4.0.1 to jb 4.1. This is my story.

1) Synced and backed up phone (while on 4.0.1 jb)
    2) Clicked "update" in itunes (itunes downloaded 4.1 for 20 minutes)
    3) iTunes automatically updated phone to 4.1
    4) Phone turned on with all apps in place, plus gamecenter and HDR.

Here's where it gets tricky:
    itunes immediately synced the phone, so when the phone finished restoring to 4.1, I had game center on my phone and all my apps, music, pictures, contacts, messages, etc. I had expected to have to manually click "restore to backup" or sync or something.

Some of my previous jailbreak apps seem to work, for example I have an app that bypasses the lockscreen when you "respring" and currently my phone skips the lockscreen when respringnig. Also I just installed Sbsettings and it already had all my old themes installed. Winterboard does not.

I'm a little confused, previously I had just restored from 4.0 to 4.0.1 using tinyumbrella, which gave me a blank phone that I had to manually sync and reinstall everything.

I planned on restoring from backup so it's not a big deal, but I'd like to know why itunes restored from a backup when I didn't tell it to.

Thanks

12. Ann P macrumors 68020

Out of curiosity, what did you use to JB your iPhone before on 4.0.1?

13. tesilential macrumors regular

jailbreakme.com

14. speedytobey thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, looks like i m gonna go with PwngeTool 4.1, one last thing i wanna know is after jailbreaking, you should sync with itunes to get your settings and apps back? or just used like a new phone?

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Either way works. And if you're already on 4.1 I'd skip using Pwnge as it'll wipe your phone. Greenpois0n or Limera1n will do the jailbreak in less than 5 minutes and leave your data exactly the way it is. That'll save you at least an hour depending on how much data you have on it.

Also, their is progress being made on the unlock for 4.1/4.2 so it shouldn't be long after 4.2 is released that it comes out.

16. speedytobey thread starter macrumors newbie

so if i m already on 4.1 firmware i dont need to worry about saving the baseband for unlocking later? what about the shsh blob?

here is where i m confused. after JB, i can sync with itunes to keep my data sync up to date. or i could use another program to do that. If i want to revert, i do a restore to factory and sync back to itune to get back data and app setting during JB( without the JB apps) so the result would be no JB but with data that i accumulated during JB(etc phone #s, game, text data)

another Q is JB at 4.1, if there is a new JB for 4.2. How to upgrade to that JB?

17. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

SHSH allows you to re-jailbreak when you upgrade. For example, you upgrade to 4.3 but there is no planned jb for that version. If you have the blob for 4.1, you can downgrade and re-jailbreak again. You have to remember that the jailbreakers won't release a jb for every iOS.
    You can only get the blob that Apple is signing for. Apple is only signing for 4.1, so you can't get an earlier blob (it doesn't matter what version your phone is using).
    Save your blobs.
    If you have to take in your phone to Apple, do not use a backup from a jailbreak. The backup still retains traces of the jb. If the apple care person detects it, they can refuse service. It's best to bring in a wiped phone--no backup.
    If they release a jb for 4.2, read this forum for instructions or a link to instructions. Iclarified is a good site too.

BTW, you should start educating yourself by reading the stickies and the forum posts, then you wouldn't have to ask such ignorant questions.

18. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

There is no jailbreak for 4.0.2 so saving the blobs is a waste of time... If you are on a Mac use tiny or pwnagetool to preserve your baseband when going to 4.1.

19. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Having the blobs will allow the poster to upgrade to 4.1 without upgrading the baseband--so 4.0.2 blobs are not a total waste of time.

Edit: corrected version number