total noob question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by slicke101, Apr 16, 2010.

1. slicke101 macrumors member

Sitting with my first mac ever. Been installing some apps and now I get these hard drive like icons in the top right corner. What the hell are those? And how do i get rid of them? (tried to eject some but some are running and cant be ejected)

Appreciate any input =)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Those are disk images (DMG) you download and mounted. Those are meant for holding the application and then you drag the application into the APPLICATIONS folder. After that you can eject the DMGs.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

3. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

If you have been installing software, those are probably mount disk images (The DMG files you most likely have been downloading). If you are running a program from the image rather than dragging it to the applications folder would be a possible reason you can't eject it. Otherwise, you can eject the images by dragging them to the trash.

4. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Think of them as software CD-Roms. You mount them, they appear on your desktop. You drag the app inside into the Application folder (dock). You eject the CD-ROM.

5. slicke101 thread starter macrumors member

hehe. This is just so funny. Not understanding even the simplest thing :p

It seems like the applications even open a window which lets me drag the app to the app folder within this same little window.

But how come its like instant installation?? It feels like there isn't anything being installed yet i can run the app.

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

There isn't an installation for most apps, it just copies the files to your Application folder and it's ready to run. Isn't that great?

When you download a DMG, consider it a CD. When you double click it it "mounts" the disc to your desktop, so it's like putting the CD in the CD drive. Drag the application to the applications folder (or run the installer, if it tells you to). After this, all the files you need to run the app are copied to your Applications folder, therefore you can eject the "CD" and throw it away by throwing away the .DMG file.

7. slicke101 thread starter macrumors member

Haha, this is super. feels like im in the wrong category with this thread but thanks a lot for the friendly help.

Edit: thanks for the links Spinnerlys. Didnt see them at first.

8. Eetrey macrumors newbie

Great post. I just made the switch from a PC and this helped me very much.

9. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Its great because 98% of apps install like this. Little or no input from you, other than targeting which disk sometimes to install to.

Download Zip archive or Dmg

DMG gets mounted and onto your desktop, zips you click open and then
    mount the dmg inside, then delete the zip if you wish.

Open DMG if it didn't open by itself, drag to applications folder to install program.

Done.

Unmount.

Rather than selecting a plethora of options and suicideware like on windows.