total noob to this site, please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ryntaylor24, Oct 5, 2009.

1. ryntaylor24 macrumors newbie

So recently I purchased a new hd for my macbook (250gb). My cd-rom drive has an error on it and will not install mac os x all the way. I have been told to use a firewire and use another mac to install onto my computer. So I am using my room-mates MacBook Pro and his firewire to do this. So I plug both computers into eachother via firewire and I boot up my macbook in target mode. The target mode sign appears on my computer and my new hard drives icon appears on my room-mates desktop. I already formated my new hard drive. I am absolutely clueless on where to go from here. I tried just popping the os x tiger disc into my room-mates macbook pro but instead of installing it onto my macbook it tries to install it onto my roomates macbook pro. How do I go about installing os x onto my macbook?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Open Mac OS X Distant installer from Utilities in you mates MBP.

3. ryntaylor24 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ryntaylor24 thread starter macrumors newbie

once i begin the process of setting up for installation the instructions tell me to hold the option key until an option screen appears. i have held it for about 5 minutes now and nothing has appeared just the cursor on my mb. this is beginning to become a pain in my a$$

5. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

the option button is for when a computer is starting up, you'll get a choice of what to boot from, like different partitions, or a CD/DVD. You can also try holding the 'C' key as you turn it on to make it boot from the CD/DVD. If it's a totally blank hard drive, you won't get anything, which sounds like what you're doing with your computer. You want to start up from the CD/DVD on your roommates computer.

It sounds like you have the setup correct so far as the two computers connected and all. If you put the Tiger disc into your roommates laptop and it starts going through the first windows of installing, at some point you are asked what hard drive you want it to be installed, which is when you select your computers hard drive.

And the Utilities folder is in your Applications folder. Applications > Utilities > Distant installer. (I thought it was Remote Install). This will accomplish the same thing except I thought it was wireless (I could be mistaken) so it might be a little slower.

Is this an original macbook? Did it come with Tiger? I assume it did and that's why you have that disc, but just to be sure, you should know you can't install a version of OS X earlier than what came with the computer.

6. ryntaylor24 thread starter macrumors newbie

These are the steps that the MBP is giving me in Remote Install Mac OS X:

Step 1: Remote Install Mac OS X helps you install Mac OS X on your MacBook Air (I don't get why it is saying MacBook Air because I do not have a MacBook Air). Open this assistant on a Mac computer that has Mac OS X install disc inserted in the optical drive. The assistant then guides you through setup and installation steps.
    Click Continue to begin.

(So I click continue)

Step 2: Choose the Mac OS X install disc you want to use:
    It gives me only one option Mac OS X Install Disc 1 Version 10.4.9

(I choose this and then click continue)

Step 3: Both your MacBook Air and this computer must be on the same AirPort or Ethernet network to install Mac OS X.
    You can use AirPort if this computer is connected to an AirPort network (either wirelessly using AirPort or directly using Ethernet).
    You can use Ethernet if this computer and your MacBook Air are connected to an Ethernet network. Use a USB Ethernet adapter to connect your Macbook Air.
    Choose the network connection you want to use:
    Options: AirPort or Ethernet
    (I choose AirPort because my apartment only has wireless I can not hook up a Ethernet cable here. The only thing is my MacBook has never been hooked up to this AirPort connection in my apartment. I don't know if this is going to be an issue. But AirPort it is and then I click continue).

Step 4: On your MacBook Air, choose Shut Down from the Apple menu (or if the computer is not responding, hold the power button until it turns off).
    While holding down the Option key, press the power button on your MacBook Air. Continue holding down the Option key until you see a list of available startup disks.

(I restart my computer and it doesn't boot back up into target mode while my MacBook is restarting I hold the option key and keep on holding it for several minutes and nothing pops up on my MacBook screen. I click continue anyways to see what will happen).

Step 5: On your MacBook Air, choose your AirPort network from the list, and enter your password if necessary.
    Once you have connectd to your network, click Continue.

(Still nothing is happening on my MacBook screen. I click Continue to see what the next step says.)

Step 6: On your MacBook Air, choose the Mac OS X network startup disk and click the arrow button.
    Once your MacBook Air has started, click continue.

(Yet again I click Continue to see what the next step is. Still nothing on my MacBook screen).

Step 7: The Mac OS X install disc inserted in this computer's optical drive is now available on your network. When the installation is compete, click Quit.
    (Waiting for MacBook Air to connect...)

(There is the apple "loading" bar that in the Step 7 screen which appears to be finding my MacBook. Nothing seems to be happening to my MacBook though).

That is as far as it took me, somebody please help me out.

7. ryntaylor24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought this MacBook brandnew in August of 2007 it came with tiger already on it.

8. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Forget Remote install. You have the firewire cable which will be faster anyway.
    Step 1: Shut down your MB. Connect MBP to your MB with firewire.
    Step 2: Start up MB while holding T for Taget disc mode. (MBP should already be on.)
    Step 3. Put Tiger disc in MBP. Double click on the CD/DVD on the desktop. Follow instructions.
    Step 4: Continue through installation until it asks you abou the "install destination".
    Step 5: Choose your HD, and let it finish.
    This is assuming your new HD in the MB is formatted already. I think it is since you said it showed up on the desktop of the MBP when you first connected it in Target disc mode. If it's not formatted, use the Disk Utility in your Utilities folder on the MBP while the MB is connected in Target Disk mode. Format it to Mac OS X Journaled.

Found this article of this guy doing exactly what I described. Try the 1-5 steps and see if that works or read along with the article.

9. ryntaylor24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I did already format my new hard drive. I just tried what the last post told me to do and I still have no luck. Right after the language selection an Alert pops up that states: You cannot install this program on this computer (it is trying to automatically install OS X onto the MBP instead of my MB. It gives me two option to restart the computer or to go to the Startup Disk, I tried going to the startup disk to click on my HD but it still tries to install it into the MBP.
    My MB is in target mode the firewire is connected properly. I am about to just throw this computer right out my window ughhhh

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You boot the other computer with firewire mode (hold T). Then you boot your computer holding option key.

11. ryntaylor24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also just to let you all know I formatted my new HD into 1 partition that is what my room-mate told me to do. I took his advice because he is pretty computer smart but not even he can figure out what the problem is while trying to install OSX onto my MB

12. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Yeah, do what consultant said. Use the MBP as a firewire DVD drive instead.

13. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

So does it even see your Macbooks hard drive?
    Sometimes the Partition tab does not work right and you need to then erase using the Erase tab in disc utility.

Usually this pops up when the wrong install disc is used. The grey discs are model specific.

The surefire way to get the install to work is to put your HD in your friends MBP and do the install. After which you put it in your MB and boot as usual.

14. ryntaylor24 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks to all for the help and replies to my MB troubles. I finally got OS X installed and running!!! Special thanks to Consultant that was the solution that fixed my problem.

15. ryntaylor24 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks to all for the help and replies to my MB troubles. I finally got OS X installed and running!!! Special thanks to Consultant that was the solution that fixed my problem. Now it is time to do a million and one updates ughhhh