Total Scam or Just Cheap Info Collection Ploy?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by randomerratum, Nov 5, 2010.

1. randomerratum macrumors 6502

I just recieved the email below- I wonder if anyone has any knowledge or experience with this. At best, it's an obvious ploy to collect names and contact info... but is it a total scam? At the website it sounds like you do all this work giving them your entire list of contacts with no guarantee that you'll actually participate... Should this go along to the IC3?

(the name of my "friend" removed in case it's a real person)

You have been invited by your friend E******** J***** to participate in a research program. Currently there are
    companies that are looking for individuals who are interested in reviewing and testing the new Apple iPad applications and games.
    After the review the participants may keep the iPad.

For more details or to register to our program, follow the link below:

http://www.checktheapps.com

Best Regards,

E******** J***** and BTest Team.

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah, Scam no doubt....however as personal rule, if you got a small doubt that is a scam, if it sound like a scam, chances are...IT IS a scam. Real research and promotions work real hard to not sound like scam just because of that.

domain was just register a few days ago, and it was register for just 1 year, doesn't seen like a legic company at all.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

You might get to keep the iPad, but ONLY if you buy a a lot of stuff through them. It never ceases to amaze me that people actually fall for these scams; I guess it's plain old greed to get something expensive for nothing.

4. sweetie81 macrumors regular

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you have to ask if it's a scam, it's probably is.

Yes it's a scam.

Exactly.

6. ajax43 macrumors regular

Especially strange how they phrase it MAY keep the ipad, as in may or may not unless you buy alot of junk from them.

7. randomerratum thread starter macrumors 6502

Obviously any thing that sounds too good to be true always is. It was just amazing to me to think that people would just hand over their entire address book thinking that the information (oh, of course- with all that beta-testing :rolleyes:) would be worth $500+ to some company.

Sounds like a bad business model.