Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I've been using the Insignia clear case for my iPhone 6 and love it. It isn't as thin as the Scarf, but I want a case for drop protection. The Insignia gives me that with very little alteration of the iPhone's profile. As a bonus, when I use the iPhone's flashlight, the case glows like something out of Tron.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Even aside from the other issues with the Totallee Scarf, that it doesn't protect that whole bottom edge bothers the living heck out of me. That's such an easy place to do damage to a phone, I'd never buy a case that didn't protect that near entire width of the phone.

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
Why pay $14 when the exact same case is available on eBay for $1

Is it the exact same one? I got one on eBay like this for a buck and the edges are really uncomfortable. Specifically on the bottom where I use my pinky as the "load bearing finger" (for you ATP fans). The edge of the case digs in to my skin and is painful, it's very sharp... I'd like to see the edges filed down in some way so that they are rounded and smooth, although I am not sure if that's possible at this thickness.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Basically a Caudabe veil and Shumuri case in other words. Love thin cases #

Except the shumuri is much better than this...the shumuri offers 360 protection when this one appears like it doesn't.

What macromors has done here is basically review a case which you can get off ebay for £1.

Fail article.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
Why pay $14 when the exact same case is available on eBay for $1

exactly. if you want a very thin case, then there's no point in spending $14 on this one.

ebay's stuff is just as good, and if for some reason it wears out quickly, you can buy 13 more.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This is neat, but I wish it had a little more drop protection. Maybe even if they made it only slightly thicker than the camera protrusion? That's still fairly thin. Or if they bulked up the material on the corners somehow. I never drop my iPhone but have a constant fear of dropping it that must be overcome, lol.

I really love my Apple leather case. The red hasn't worn quite the way I wanted it to on my 6 Plus, so when I go back down to the 4.7" 6S later this year I'm probably going to get the black case. It just feels so great and is fairly protective, but only slightly on the bottom.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I must say - I used to think the thinness of a case was a big deal; but I've been gradually going the other way, putting more weight on utility and convenience. I had used a card case for my iPhone 5, and was reasonably happy with it. More recently (this past December) I bought a wallet case for my iPhone 6 Plus, and I absolutely LOVE it! With cards and cash it probably triples the thickness of the phone... but it's still pretty lithe, the screen is well protected, and more importantly I only have to grab one thing when I leave home.

johnoffthewall3

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2015
I have owned the Scarf for a few weeks now and like it a lot. I have been an advocate for using you iPhone without any case on. Most cases are just too hideous and covering up my iPhone with something ugly wasn't something I was willing to do. I enjoyed the design of the iPhone too much. But when I got the new iPhone 6 I just felt that I needed something to give some extra grip. I love the iPhone 6 , but boy can it be slippery. So for me it was all about getting something very minimal that makes my iPhone more grippy. Got the Scarf and have been loving it. It's well made. I use the white case, which is actually a frosted semi-transparent case and looks lovely on my space grey iPhone 6. Thinking of getting the light grey one for an even more "invisible" look. My favorite part is that I can still fully enjoy the design of the iPhone.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I doubt this should be described as a case.

It's more like a scratch shield...a cover at best.

I am always amazed that such surface protection products, be they for phones, sofas or cars have a market. Is a polycarbonate surface really nicer than a scratched metal one? You make your device uglier so that the next owner has a nicer device.

----------

But when I got the new iPhone 6 I just felt that I needed something to give some extra grip. I love the iPhone 6 , but boy can it be slippery. So for me it was all about getting something very minimal that makes my iPhone more grippy.
The slippery surface is the only reason I would consider adding something to my iPhone. But what I am looking for is some cloth-like tape (preferably black) that has a fitting shape and covers maybe the lower third of the back.

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
I don't even know why a person would consider this for iPhone. $2 silicon cover blows this crap out of the water while retains the look of the phone.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Heh. £15? I'm certain the market in town sells these for £1 each. Not that I believe there is much point in having a case this thin. It wouldn't protect the phone from anything but the lightest of scratches.

bnekic

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2013
Cleveland, OH
You guys are hilarious lol. Those cheap cases on eBay are no where near the quality of the $15 cases. Have you people even bought these eBay cases or just making assumptions?

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
This looks exactly like my Caudabe Veil, except that it doesn't have the ring around the camera hole to protect the camera. And if the rumors are right about the Veil XT, it also won't cover the bottom.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Spigen Air is a bit thicker. It's similar, but the design is different.

Sorry, but they're pretty much the same thing. And anyone who denies so is just splitting hairs. The only super thin cases that are any different are the Caudabe and Shumuri cases. Everything else is literally just the same as the cheap eBay cases.

wendimc

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2014
I received my Scarf case today and love it. It is very well made and feels great. They paid a lot of attention to the details. I am a case "fanatic" and had over two dozen cases. Cheap ones and expensive ones. It's a bit early to say much more as I will need to see how it will hold up over time, but the first impression is great. This could be my new favorite case. It really is thin!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Do you think one of these is a good update to an Incipio Feather? I love the Feather, but almost a year later the coating is wearing off and eventually it's going to make the phone very slippery.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
I didn't know cases this thin existed. I usually hate cases and would rather just leave it naked, but I've found the 6 particularly slippery, and I'm worried about scratching the camera. I probably would have preferred a little adhesive rubber ring or something that sticks around the camera, but short of that the Caudabe is pretty fantastic. I got it over the scarf because of its camera protection.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I have owned the Scarf for a few weeks now and like it a lot. I have been an advocate for using you iPhone without any case on. Most cases are just too hideous and covering up my iPhone with something ugly wasn't something I was willing to do. I enjoyed the design of the iPhone too much. But when I got the new iPhone 6 I just felt that I needed something to give some extra grip. I love the iPhone 6 , but boy can it be slippery. So for me it was all about getting something very minimal that makes my iPhone more grippy. Got the Scarf and have been loving it. It's well made. I use the white case, which is actually a frosted semi-transparent case and looks lovely on my space grey iPhone 6. Thinking of getting the light grey one for an even more "invisible" look. My favorite part is that I can still fully enjoy the design of the iPhone.
I'm thinking about getting this, I was wondering does the case still allow for the curve feeling of the edges of the screen? I had the leather case for mine and I've too it off but since I wear jeans and have the gold version it's best if I have a cover for the antenna bands. I really want to keep that curve feeling when swiping though.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I didn't know cases this thin existed. I usually hate cases and would rather just leave it naked, but I've found the 6 particularly slippery, and I'm worried about scratching the camera. I probably would have preferred a little adhesive rubber ring or something that sticks around the camera, but short of that the Caudabe is pretty fantastic. I got it over the scarf because of its camera protection.

Yeah, the Scarf is literally just a complete clone of all of the other cheap eBay ones out there. The Caudabe is definitely superior exactly for the reason you mentioned. Little details like the lip around the camera and just a better fit overall. And I caved and bought the XT version of the Veil which provides bottom coverage as well and it's pretty much the perfect thin case now.

johnoffthewall3

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2015
I'm thinking about getting this, I was wondering does the case still allow for the curve feeling of the edges of the screen? I had the leather case for mine and I've too it off but since I wear jeans and have the gold version it's best if I have a cover for the antenna bands. I really want to keep that curve feeling when swiping though.

The case is very thin, much thinner than the leather case. It only grabs the iPhone on the edges and does not cover up the curved glass. It pretty much covers the aluminum part and only extends a fraction of mm beyond that. It's very precisely made. It's amazing how firmly it stays on considering how thin and non-interfering it is. So, yes, you will retain the feel of the curved screen you are looking for. I've had the case for some months now and it's by far my favorite. Really well made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.