Totally black images in Manual & Shutter mode

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by notofuspeed, Apr 18, 2012.

1. notofuspeed macrumors newbie

Hey guys.
    I ended up buying a d5100.
    And just fiddling and snapping without changing settings..
    I get totally black images in Manual Exposure and Shutter Priority modes.
    Is this normal and/or why?
    Thanks all

2. VI™ macrumors 6502a

What are your settings and what kind of conditions are you in. Do you know how to use the meter to see if you're not under exposing the shots to black?

In manual and shutter priority, you have total control of the camera so that you have to set the ISO, shutter speed, and aperture to acheive the proper expsoure.

3. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

4. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

At least it's taking pictures some of the time. I just had to return my new d3100 because it wouldn't take anything but black pictures. Even on full auto, nothing but black. Live view was also showing nothing; all black (with the exception of the indicators and such). Yes, the cap was off. :)

Replacement is in the mail; hopefully it won't have the problem. Looks like Nikon might have a bit of a production issue on their hands?

5. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

OK, I just have to ask this question because of a similar post on another photography forum: is there a lens on the camera?

I wish I could find that thread on POTN. Some guy posting that a newly-purchased camera didn't work, and it turned out he didn't know that the camera must have a lens attached.

6. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

7. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Full auto coming back with the same fully black images is strange. I'm guessing AV mode works fine? If so, I'd look for a firmware upgrade on the net for your model.

8. notofuspeed thread starter macrumors newbie

My fix was easy, the default settings was way underexposed.
    Just was worried because I read about these problems before with faulty shutter. But I assumed it wasn't due to the fact it was working OK on other settings. But was still scared there was a technical fault.
    Thanks for taking the time with this small problem

9. VI™ macrumors 6502a

KISS. It's usually the simplest answer that's right. :D

I'm on POTN and ended up with "GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER" for my involvement in a long Pocket Wizard thread. It was probably at least 9 pages of people trying to help this guy out with his brand new faulty Pocket Wizard flash triggers. I finally chimed in with the thought of making sure it was facing the right direction in the hotshoe and not on backwards.

His Pocket Wizards were not longer faulty. :D

10. fa8362 macrumors 65816

There is no default exposure setting. Either you or the camera have to set each exposure.