Totally dead Bricked 3GS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by carfac, Jul 14, 2011.

1. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I have a 3GS that was acting funny, so I decided to reload the os. It was running 4.1, jB and unlocked, so I got PwnageTool and 4.1 to put back on. In the middle of reloading the OS, power outage.

Screen is totally blank, dead black. iTunes recognizes it as an iPhone in Restore (not recovery) mode, but not what type of phone it is... just "iPhone"

Regular restore on iTunes ends in an error (2, 2001, 1600, depending). I have tried the TinyUmbrella "Fix Restore" and I do get some white writting on the screen, but nothing happens when it gets to the reboot part.

I used PwnageTool to make a new ipsw and then have iTunes reload it... that sems to work until it gets to the reboot point and then it locks on a black screen again.

ANy ideas how to revive this bad boy?

2. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

Did you Google the first two error numbers? They seem to indicate an older version of iTunes. You may want to update to the newest if that's the case.

As for the rest, I would put it in DFU mode (will it do that during the Pwnage setup?) and then do an iTunes restore. THEN you could play with a JB.

3. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

iTunes 10x & iReb

Start up iTunes
    Put iPhone into DFU Mode
    Once iTunes recognises your iPhone in DFU mode, Close iTunes
    Launch iReb
    Select Your Device and wait till you get a red or white screen.
    Now Load iTunes back up, Select Device from the Left. Now SHIFT and Restore to custom iPSW

That Might Do The Trick

4. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Hi:

Thanks for the pointers!

Yes, I gogoled all errors I got... a lot of the errors seemed to imply I had an anti virus or other thing running (which I do not)... so I would run Tiny Umbrella long enough to get the OK from "Apple" to install software and then stop running that. As far as iTunes, it is totally up to date...

>>> As for the rest, I would put it in DFU mode (will it do that during the Pwnage setup?) and then do an iTunes restore.

I do that, and it installs just fine (checks, installs, verifies all fine), but it never reboots....

I am trying the iReb now... I will post back with results...

AGain, thanks for your help so far!

5. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Holmes:

Thanks for the iReb clue- I do not know what that does, but it did the trick for sure! I am beathing again, I have my phone back. Thank you!

If you are EVER In Salt Lake, let me know, I owe you a few beers!!!! (Yes, it IS possible to have a berr in Salt Lake)

THANK YOU!

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

congrats another bricked phone debricked!!!!!!

7. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

Glad I Could Help ! I'll Hold You To That ;)