Totally lost, need iTunes help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brando123b, Oct 13, 2013.

1. brando123b macrumors regular

Okay everyone, I'm at a total loss here, I need some help. Bear in mind this is on the PC.

Situation: My wife and I both have iPhone 5s. My wife's old phone, an iPhone 4, is being used as an iPod. On said iPhone, she has about 800 songs. Those 800 songs are not stored in our iTunes, the only place they live are on her old iPhone.

When I try to transfer them to our iTunes, it asks to sync and delete all the songs off the phone.

At this point, I downloaded a few programs that said they would allow me to transfer all that music to our iTunes library. For some crazy reason, all of these programs will only find 67 songs out of the 800. I can't figure this out for the life of me.

Now, to add even more oddity to this situation:

This morning when my wife went to play some music off the iPhone 4, about 90% of the songs are showing up with the iCloud logo or spinning download sign next to them. I have zero idea where they could be downloading from, as all of the music was physically stored on the phone. We have never had iTunes match. This is a bit worrying as most of them are unable to be played, and if we lose this music, it isn't backed up anywhere.

So long story short...HELP! I have no idea what to do.

2. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

Where did the 800 songs come from originally? Were they bought from iTunes? If so, Apple is now showing anything you've purchased from them on your iPhone in iOS7. If you play one of those with a cloud icon, it will download it for you automatically. I think I turned off this feature in settings as I wanted to see only what I truly had on the device.

Regarding the syncing issue from the old phone, was the old phone initially setup on this same computer and iTunes install? Did you get a new computer or fresh install of iTunes and not have connected the old iPhone to it before? Apple has some stupid requirement that your iPhone can only be synced to one instance of iTunes. If you use a different computer or reinstall itunes (even if you log in with your iTunes credentials) it makes you wipe and resync phone to it again. I'm guessing this might be happening with the old phone and not the new phones.

3. brando123b thread starter macrumors regular

Most of those songs were from her old iPod and my old Apple ID that I can no longer get because the e-mail I used to create it I no longer have access to.

Anyone know what I should do?

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

You don't have acsess to your old email? Do you mean you forgot the password? If so Apple should be able to reset it for you if you have set up security questions on your account.

5. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Sounds like the best solution is to access that old account. If you do that, you can download all the music to iTunes and sync it as necessary.

If you still know the password for that old account, you can change the account name to that of a working email address. Go to http://appleid.apple.com , and select Manage Your Apple ID. If you don't know your password then call AppleCare for help with a password reset.