Totally New, how do I connect to the internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sir Peter, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Sir Peter macrumors newbie

I am totally new to apple at the G5 for 4 days now but I still can not connected to the internet.

I am in the UK so I use BT, I phoned them and they can not help me so I called the router people 'Netgear' but I was hold that long I have run out of mobile credit.

I looked on this site and I read that the NetGear DG834PN was one of the best router to get, so I got that one, I am not going to connect wirelessly just yet, I may use the wireless on the wifes work PC. So I get the thing out of the box, connect it all, ohone BT's head office in India to get my passwords etc and I just can not get the thing to work. I am totally new to Apple, so I really do not know where I should be looking, can anyone help or piont me in the right direction.

Pete

2. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

More details please. What is connected, how, what is not working etc. Are you hooked by ethernet cable to the box?....

3. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I'm not sure if this would help but the easiest way to get to your internet settings is to goto System Preferences (should be in the dock or look in the Apple menu at the top of the screen) and then look in the "Network" preference pane and you can get information that should help you from there. But to be more thorough we need more info.:apple:

4. Sir Peter thread starter macrumors newbie

Mydel/ MonksMac

Thanks for the reply. I have connected the Netgear box to the computer via the eithernet cable.

This is the first thing that I have connected to the Apple since getting it apart from my external hard drive which showed up on the desktop, I was thinking that the Netgear Router would also show up once I plugged it in but it did not, so I am not sure if this is right or not.

I am using my old PC at the moment to connect to the internet, but I would like to get rid of the thing and just use one computer.

I don't know what should be displayed when I am online shuould a little graphic show up or what, I just open the saffari and it says that I am not connected, if you can get me a few tips that would be great.

Pete

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Unplug the Ethernet cable from your PC, plug it into your Mac. Go to System Preferences (under the Apple icon in the top left of screen). Find Network, select Ethernet (double-click), go to TCP/IP tab, find drop down menu and select DHCP. Close and apply settings. To know if you are good to go you should see a green dot next to Ethernet in the Network Preferences.

Open Safari again. Reload a few times if it doesn't work at first.

EDIT: The router is part of the networking system and does not show up on the Desktop, only disks and hard drives show up.

6. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Only Hard drives and DVD's etc. are shown on the desktop. To check to see that you are connected try this:
    1. Open the System Preferences
    2. Click the "Network" Preference
    3. If the Ethernet cable and the Router are connected correctly you should see a green dot next to the words "Ethernet".
    If the dot is orange or red than that means the problem may be with your router and you should make sure that all is connected correctly.:apple:
    Something like this:

Attached Files:

7. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Ok I will assume for naow that you are running Leopard. Go to System Preferences and look what light is next to Ethernet. If its red go to Advanced and try check if the system i set to Automatic and if you have any numbers next to IPv4, Mask, Router etc. And if its set to use DHCP

8. Sir Peter thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using Leopard, The Eithernet icon has a green dot next to it. So all is right so far, but I am still not sure how to connect the thing to the internet, do I have to restart?

Pete

9. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Try to restart Safari and let us know if it works.

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You should be good to go. Open up Safari and get going. If that isn't working then reboot and try again. Otherwise I would renew your DCHP license.

Go back to your Network Advanced section and under TCP/IP you should see the renew button on the right side.

11. Sir Peter thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, still not working, I am not sure what I am doing wrong. When do you think I should/would type in my BT account details as I have not done that yet and I would have thought that this would be required, ie my BT internet address and password?? Maybe that as same thing to do with it.

Anyway I think I might go to bed now, and try to get connected on day 5..

Will look at the forum tomorrow, thanks for all you advice

Pete

12. ashawley macrumors newbie

You user ID and password etc. that you received from BT would be entered on the router not on the Mac.

The router needs to be configured to connect to your ISP (BT in this case). Normally these things come with a setup CD or at least instructions. I'm not familiar with this one, but normally you need to open up a web browser (Safari), type in a URL which is the default IP address of the router itself, enter in an Administration User ID and/or password and in there you will enter your BT user information.

At least that's the way it works here in the states...

The reason that you have a green light on your network is probably because your Mac is connecting to the router fine. It's just that the router isn't connected to the internet.

Hope that helps some.

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

can you check your PC's network settings first?

14. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Maybe its totally stupid question but I know that some providers limit your internet access to 1 machine. And its recognized by ethernet card number. It looks like you are set OK just cant get server to respond. Are you sure that its not your case?

15. Sir Peter thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone, I am still not online yet, but I know what I need to do, I think I need to programme my router with all my settings etc, not sure how to go about that, but at least I will be looking at the right thing.

I am not using the new router for the connection with my PC, as the modem is old and would not accept Mac's BT told me.

Any Ideas in how I would programme this router?

Thanks

Another thing, what type of connection would I have PPPoE? What is this?

Or PPPoA?

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What does it say in the manual that came with the router?
    Or if no manual, a setup CD with a PDF on it.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You have to connect it to your computer, open your browser, and log in to the router on 192.168.0.1, and take it from there. That should bring you to the router set-up page. Just follow instructions.

18. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Iowa, United States, Earth, Milky Way, . . .
    If that doesn't work try 192.168.1.1, or 192.168.1.254

19. Sir Peter thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone, this post is coming from my new, well new to me iMac. Thanks again. Just put a Bruce Springsteen CD in the drive and can not play it or get it out??? Thats my next mission.

Pete

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Restart, holding down the mouse button until the CD pops out.

21. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

As people have already stated, you need to configure the router to work with BT Broadband.

To log into the router type http://192.168.0.1 into a web browser, on a computer that is directly connected to router. If it asks for a username and password the defaults are admin and password. You will then need to enter specific configuration information that is supplied by BT, or alternatively run the Setup Wizard.

This website may help : http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/2004/q2/netgear-dg834.html. Its for an older version of your router but the configuration should be similar.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

23. Frisco macrumors 68020

Did you manage to get the CD out yet?

24. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I was trying to find information to help the poster but obviously posted a bit too late.

To eject, without having to reboot use itunes, just click the eject icon that is displayed in the bottom right of the itunes window. Any time I have had a problem rejecting it does the trick.

Attached Files:

25. flosstp macrumors newbie

Hello

I hope you don't mind me adding to this thread but i also am having problems connecting the internet from my iMac.

I have a wireless Belkin router connected with an ethernet cable, this has been set up and has a green light next to Built in Ethernet in Network Settings, when using the diagnostics tool to try to figure out the issue, the ISP also has a green light, but not the internet. The router seems to be connected to the mac but is then not connecting to the internet. When i use the system assistant it tells me that my ISP won't accept the settings. I have checked my settings with Tiscali and i have entered the correct ones so am at a loss as to why i can't connect.

I bought the iMac with OS 10.4 and have recently installed 10.5, could this be the problem? Would it be worth going back to the original OS to see if that works, and if so is it as simple as just inserting the CDs.

Sorry for all the qs but i am new to Macs. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks