Totally new to Apple informed info please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lovestruck, Jul 4, 2013.

1. lovestruck macrumors member

Travelling the inland waterways of the UK
    I have never owned an Apple product before but am going to buy a rMBP
    it has been a long decision but I need a good speedy machine for photo editing
    and I really want to get away from Microsoft and the glitchy running of PC's.

One of the questions I want to ask is regarding the coming sometime soon new rMBP..
    Historically when Apple bring out new machines are they a lot more money or about the same?

I am getting impatient now I have decided and if the new one will be considerably more than the current model
    it will be out of my price range so I might as well buy one now..

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Refreshes are typically the same price or $100 cheaper.

3. foxf8 macrumors member

well u dont need a rmbp to do photo editing lol its just hardware those specs are super high any pc well do just fine as well with lower specs. with that said i have rmbp 15 inch and i love the retina screen its weird to look at other screens now lol. its quick does photo editing of course just same as it did on my old pc. tho i never had glitchy problems on windows... but there was no way in hell i was going to use windows 8 and yea windows 7 is old and boring so i did get the rmbp for a change up. plus the asking price while still high i think is first apple mbp worth your money. the hardware in this laptop is good. the i7 in this laptop is not the same i7 in 90% of other pc laptops. u got to dig deeper, this i7 in rmbp at the hardware lvl is designed to fight virus, malware and even runs programs in there own virtual space just in case it is bad it is in its own "space" making it harder for it to spread. and there is more features but yea 90% of all pc laptops use a cheaper version of the i7 quad core that doesn't have those features. believe me iv looked before i bought the retina. 560 bucks for the i7 in macbook pro retina. around 330 for entry lvl i7 quad core in pc laptops.

4. Buckaye macrumors member

I find them about the same - maybe a little bump... based on what you are trying to do, I'd say you're fine with any of the current machines.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

6. Buckaye macrumors member

for photo editing I would go with the biggest screen you can afford....

7. omgitsbees macrumors member

I just want to make sure you've covered your other options. You want a Apple computer, so no point in making Windows suggestions, however, have you considered a 27" iMac? Or do you really want to be able to do photo editing on the go? In which case yeah, a retina MacBook Pro is the way to go. If you're able to afford that though I would also recommend getting a large monitor to go with it for photo editing at home or the office.

8. tillsbury macrumors 65816

9. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

13 or 15 inch? what configuration you have in mind?

10. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Just wanted to repeat this, since it seems a lot of other people gave you answers to questions you didn't ask, instead of the one you did.

By the way, if money is a consideration, refurb models are an EXCELLENT value - usually 15% off the new selling price and fully guaranteed. In most cases these are returns that didn't have anything wrong with them. They are fully tested and, as I said, fully guaranteed.

11. lovestruck thread starter macrumors member

Travelling the inland waterways of the UK
    Thanks for the replies..

The machine I am running at the moment is a 4 year old Samsung Q310 with 3Gb Ram, it has had some problems over the years and a few reformats, it was running Vista but now Win 8..
    It is very very slow running Lightroom and Nik software now hence reason for getting new computer..I have always wanted a Mac but they have been out if my price range really until now, also my husband wanted me to keep windows as he codes in C and wanted to use my Vista and 8 to run his software on as he has XP..but he can use the Samsung to play with when I get a Mac.

I will be getting a 13" screen which is what I have been using for the past 4 years, and yes I know it is very small for editing but I live on a narrowboat and space and power are at a premium.

We use all our present computers on 12 volt supply with mini inverters, and are trying to find info on the internet about running a Mac in the same way.

I will either go for the Air or wait for the new Haswell pro because of battery life as we can use mains power to charge up the battery when we are running the boat engine.

It was interesting to read above about the difference between the i7's in Macs and Pc's, I had never heard that before. It is not a surprise though as there must be some reason why all the good graphics people and photographers use Macs!