Totally Perplexed...... Could use someone's help.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bitts, Nov 17, 2016.

1. bitts macrumors newbie

bitts

Hey guys, So Ive got a number of things going on but Ill start with one at a time. Im currently trying to reset my terminal to default settings. I know I am to delete the com.apple.terminal.plist in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Terminal.plist, however the weirdest thing, well 1. its not there. anywhere , Its really just not there. and 2. when I do a search for it in Finder search window Finder keeps "quitting unexpectedly " before it shows me anything . Only when looking for this file though. Im sure there a terminal command I can do to find it Im just not that familiar with writing commands.
    Anybody have any ideas?

2. KALLT macrumors 601

You don’t need to search for the file. These preference files are managed by a separate process and you can manage the preferences with a build-in utility. You can delete your preferences with this:
    Code:
    defaults delete com.apple.Terminal

This only resets the preferences of the application itself. It has no effect on Bash or the shell itself.

3. JohnDS macrumors 65816

Bitts, you were looking in

~/Library/Preferences

and not

/Library/Preferences

Right?

If not, pull down the Go menu in Finder to GO TO FOLDER and copy and paste

~/Library/Preferences

into the Go to Folder window and hit return.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2016 ---
    BTW, "~" is a short form for your home folder, so
    ~/Library/ is the Library folder inside your home folder and /Library/ is the home folder at the root of your drive.

4. bitts thread starter macrumors newbie

bitts

JohnDS,

THANK YOU!! yes, and the sad thing is I totally knew that, I dont know how I kept getting into the wong Library. Maybe it has something to do with all the other bizarre stuff going on. OK so thanks for that.
    SOoooooo......onto the next question. Ill start a new Post.