Totally sick of office work

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Frisco, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

I am sorry for the rant.

I majored in Psychology and did one year of grad school. Left and went into the business sector. Currently I am a Data Analyst. Office work sucks! But I have no choice, I need to survive and pay the bills.

Everyday I hate waking up and going to the office. It is tedious and tiresome. And I work for a good company. I just wasn't cut out for the "Office", but what other options are out there?

8 Hours at the office seems like an eternity for me. One week at the office is pure hell for me.

What can I do outside of an office environment and still make a living?

I hate the office--I hate business!!

Thanks for reading.

2. jones14 macrumors member

I know what you're saying, to some extent. I am 16 and work for a local business that does telephone surveys. I only work 21.5 hours per week but it is the most god-awful experience I have ever had to do. I do a survey and ask two questions, then hang up. It may seem easy but it is extremely "mind-numbing" as some would say. However they do give the best pay for a 16 year old and the hours are very flexible. I wish I could quit so bad but I have to pay for my car insurance and gas somehow.

Well, I'm sorry to hear that you are unhappy with you're job but it does make me feel better that somebody besides me does. (However different the situations we are in are).

Hopefully you can get a job elsewhere that would be better suited for you.

3. furious macrumors 65816

furious

4. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I temped in an office for 3 weeks, and it was the best job i ever had. The environment was very laid back, and i made a good chunk of money for it. I found it to be a little monotonous sometimes, but it beat every other job i've held. Try to find a something positive about the job you like, or you could find a smaller office, i temped for one, and it was great. Just try to stay positive :)

5. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Hmmm... have you considered going into contruction, landscaping, mill/factory work, seafood processing? :rolleyes:

6. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Well if it makes you feel any better I went to college for 7 years, got 2 lousy degrees and I'm stuck working 45-60 hours a week in retail the last few years. And anyone in retail knows how wonderful and great that line of work is. :(

What I'm saying is. I'll trade you.

7. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Yeah . . . you'll work from 2:00PM until 11:00PM; and then they'll ask you to come in at 5:00AM and work until 2:00PM the next day. - The Home Depot. ;)

8. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Hey, I do EXACTLY that. I work at a plywood mill :p

And we ship some stuff to Home Depot even ;)

9. tartsquid macrumors regular

tartsquid

I wish I had an office job! I just graduated in May with a BA in English and haven't been able to find any job at all, even with three years of secretarial experience.

10. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Well, what things are you interested in? Do that instead.

--Eric

11. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Exactly! Oh and they expect you to be all cheery and bubbly too, and if anyone else is like me, when I have to go to a crappy low paying job on only 2 hours sleep I could be the most miserable person in the world. :D

12. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I suggest you read the book "Wishcraft" by Barbara Sher. She has posted a free PDF version online, so it won't even cost you anything.

It has some really helpful advice, and should help you figure some things out.

13. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I hear the military are always recruiting....

Seriously though. What about joining the Police? You'll get to put your Psychology major to use and every day will be different.

14. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Well, a bachelors in psych without a masters or doctorate isn't terribly useful. Great undergrad though, great career path if completed, and great experience. Have you thought about an entry-level in mental health (office assistant (again), personal care asst, psych nurse, etc), or education (teacher, paralegal, support systems)?

I suggest you go back to school to get your masters, really. You won't be happy until you're an industrial psychologist or an academic therapist or your own freelance clinic.. if psych is really what you love.

15. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

After having worked in countless call centres and restaurants to fund my way through my Law degree, it gave me the motivation to make sure I got a First in my undergrad, as well as to go on and hopefully do well in my Masters next year so I can do something in academia rather than have to work in an office all my life. OK, lecturing may not pay much, but its a hell of a lot more fulfilling and interesting than all the other jobs I've come across during my ventures into the world of work.

On the other hand, to dismiss all office work as tedious and boring is not necessarily accurate. I know my experiences of office work have only been the very low level stuff, where you're essentially just a unit on a production line, like in an assembling factory. The higher up you go, I imagine the more decisions you have to make, and the more fulfilling the work gets. I'm sure this applies for all industries, even the 'glamorous' creative industries.

16. Keebler macrumors 68030

Well, i guess it depends on the office environment and the personalities involved.

I will say this though.....it's up to you.

Sure, you have bills to pay and responsibilities, but if you really want to get into your own thing, cut down as many expenses as you possibly can, making sacrifices along the way so you can pay your bills. as you do this, save the rest from the sacrifices to pay future bills.

then, once you have a little pile of money to pay for those future bills while not working...then quit and find something you like.

i realize it sounds crazy and maybe not too feasible, but when it comes down to it, there are those who just complain (not saying this is you btw, b/c i don't know you from a hole in the ground) and then there are those are 'do-ers'.

I worked in the offices for some time before staying at home with the kids and i will honestly say that things will change should i ever have to go back. i've seen the light and will get the job and situation that I want... i'll just make it that way :)

Cheers,
    Keebler

PS. good luck!

17. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I'm right there with you on the office hating! I worked in the business sector for years and was miserable. I recently returned to college and earned a Masters of Arts in Teaching, and am now teaching English in the high school. I'm so happy! The first year was rough, but I'm definitely on top of things this year, so it's much better.

I agree with others that you need a Masters to do something else. Whether it's teach or go into practice, I'd look into additional schooling.

Keep us updated!