Totaly noob question...

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Tonecrafter, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Tonecrafter macrumors member

So, I think I'm gonna buy a Mac Mini base model and put an SSD in it. Here's my noob question.... Once I've upgraded the drive...how do I go about reinstalling OSX Lion on it?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Tonecrafter thread starter macrumors member

Well, I don't plan on having another drive in the mini. Just a single SSD. What would I do in that case?

Thanks for the help.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Use Lion Internet Recovery by using Command+Option+R on boot. This will boot you directly from Apple's servers and give you a full recovery toolset, including the ability to redownload the latest version of Lion and install it.

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The question has already been answered for you. You put the SSD drive in a USB enclosure, set it up as bootable and clone the original drive to the SSD.

You then take the SSD out of the external enclosure and replace the internal drive with the SSD and it will boot from it.

6. Tonecrafter thread starter macrumors member

Excellent! How does that work though? Do I have to enter in some kind of serial number or something? To show I have a legit pre-installed copy?

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

If it's a 2011 (new) Mini that you're buying, it'll be identified by hardware ID. Won't have to login or anything to do it.

8. Tonecrafter thread starter macrumors member

That's great. I really appreciate your input here. Sounds like it may not be as big a deal as I thought it would be.

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

When you boot into Lion after reinstalling you'll notice iLife missing (iMovie, iPhoto, and GarageBand). Open the App Store and you'll notice that you have them available for download too, free of charge. For these, if memory serves, you'll have to register with your apple ID to allow reinstall action.