Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbone567

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
Hi,

I used to have bootcamp installed on my computer and a while back i deleted it because I thought I wouldn't need it. Well I do again.

Since the first time I installed two things have happened. I have upgraded to 10.5.7 from 10.4.11 and my internal burner broke and i'm using a lite-on external.

I got bootcamp to partition and restart (it read the windows install disk). After the computer resarts though nothing happens. The computer hangs on the grey screen and the apple and a no sign flash.

Does anyone know how to solve my problem? I think its cause of the external drive but my internal one will no longer except cd's it just spits everything out without reading(i really don't want to fix my internal one).

Josh

jbone567

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2009
I figured it out. I read another post about a program called rEFIT. Amazing program 10/10 windows is up and working couldn't be happier except it took me like a week to do. First I had to defrag my harddrive and then this external drive problem. Ah well either way if you want to install windows and boot camp is giving you trouble us disk utility to make a partition then install rEFIT according to its websites instructions. Then install windows and our done.

thedoobieman5

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
This happened to me too when I was installing Windows. After restarting it would go into a gray screen and stop. I didn't need to use REFIT though (though it obviously worked for you), all you need to do is hold down the option key as soon as it restarts and specify that you want to boot into the new partition you made for windows.

Hope this helps future users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.