Touch 1.1.3 Firmware Size

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by aidanpendragon, Feb 21, 2008.

1. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

I've held off my 1.1.3 firmware upgrade for a simple reason: size.

I don't particularly need the new apps, and I'll be damned if I pay $20 for what others get for free.

But I know the apps lurk in the firmware whether or not you unlock them. And 1.1.3 is big, over 100MB. I don't want to use up my premium space on something I don't want & can't use.

Can anyone (with a non-JB Touch) compare stats on the OS size difference between 1.1.2 and 1.1.3? I guess this is the "Other" stat in iTunes' breakdown. If memory serves, mine (on 1.1.2) is at 18.6MB. Does this suddenly go up to >100MB on 1.1.3?

Thanks

2. sgtboy macrumors 6502

It completely replaces the 1.1.2 firmware, not add on to it. Trust me, your not gonna lose hardly any space on your touch at all!

3. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I think you're really limiting yourself by not getting the firmware update and paying the $20- for the new apps. It's not that much money and when you buy something like a Touch it's not an event, it's an ongoing investment....unless you choose to limit it abilities by not keeping up with updates.

4. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, I've checked my non-JB'd 1.1.2 OS size ("Other"), and it's 18.4 MB.

Can someone with a non-JB'd 1.1.3 please report the size of their "Other" data? Mention if you've unlocked the 5 apps or not, but it's probably not a big deal.

Thanks.

5. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

[edit] When I get home, I'll check out that number for you. [/edit]

Frankly, I suspect that 18 MB is MUCH too small to represent the total space taken up by even an un-upgraded 1.1.2 iPod Touch.

According to this source, the iPod Touch physically stores its OS on a separate parition than its media files.

Apparently, the OS partition is 300 MB, and is also shared with all apps. The media partition makes up the remainder of the Flash storage.

If that is the case, I suspect the "Other" category in iTunes has nothing to do with the space taken up by the OS. More likely, I'd say it's stuff like subdirectory overhead, album artwork, etc.

6. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fair enough, and quite logical. But with 1.1.4, I'm even more curious.

There's really 2 numbers to consider:
    -16GB - max stated capacity
    -14.84GB - max "formatted" capacity, although this may well contain the OS partition - safer to call it the "max useable capacity"

I.e., the OS size, apps, etc. are presumably the difference btwn. 16GB and the max useable capacity. (Or some of it, less the 1024 vs 1000 bytes issue)

Ergo, if 1.1.3/1.1.4 firmware get progressively bigger, that second number - useable space - should drop.

On a non-JB'd 1.1.2, I again have 14.84GB of formatted/useable space. Can someone with a non-JB'd 1.1.3 or 1.1.4 post & compare that number?

If it's also 14.84GB (and your "Other" is 18.4MB), then we know OS changes, new apps, etc. aren't any bigger between firmware versions - or at least aren't taking up more than the dedicated 300MB partition!

7. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

@#$%^&^%$#@ you :apple:!!!

It wanted to auto-upgrade from 1.1.2 to 1.1.4. Decided I'd take the plunge.

"Other" goes from 18.4 MB to 103.4 MB.

Apple, you can suck my chocolate salty balls if you think I'm putting up with dead-weight apps that I can't use. And x2 on my C.S.B. if you think I'm paying 20 bucks for something everyone now gets free, after all (4 Touches) I had to go through to get one with a good screen.