touch + 2.1 = endless restore mode + error (6)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Steven.nevets, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Steven.nevets macrumors regular

ever since 2.0.2, my ipod has been sitting on my desk like a brick, since it was continuously in restore mode. I would plug it in, go through the restore process, and either it would fail, and give me the ipod could not restore, error (6) message, or finish, but then the next time i plugged it into itunes, it would go straight back into restore mode.

i figured 2.1 would fix this... i was wrong. using itunes 8 and touch 2.1, i still get the exact same error when trying to restore. the only thing i know is that once, when i had access to another macbook, i restored using that to 2.0.2 and it worked fine, but then i moved back to mine and it failed again. i've tried in another user, but i get the same problems.

do i need to get a new touch? it is my birthday soon, and i have a really generous girlfriend, but i'd rather not have to ask for that...

thanks!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Call Apple. They would tell you how to fix it. Likely it is a problem with your iTunes and you should trash it, its preferences, and reinstall.

Apple has great support staff and you have a 1 year warranty from time of purchase. If this happened when 2.0.2 was released, why didn't you downgrade to 2.0.1 or call Apple?

Also, have you tried different USB Ports/Cables? Since some of the (6) errors have been known to be caused by bad cables or bad ports.

TEG

3. Steven.nevets thread starter macrumors regular

shipping charge?

i filled out an apple service request online but I've come to the service charge part, and I have to pay $45 for shipping? my touch is still covered under warranty, so shouldn't the shipping be free?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It usually is in the US, but I'm not sure about the Canadian Rules. Did you call Apple Care to find out, or get them to just send a box?

TEG