Touch 2G BRICKED, IPSW not available, how to FIX!??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by thewildkid, Oct 27, 2008.

1. thewildkid macrumors newbie

I've already posted this elsewhere, but I thought people here would be more helpful...

Everything happened so damn fast...

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am quite possibly the very first person on Earth to have bricked his 2nd generation iPod Touch. I've been experiencing several problems while using it lately, but I never suspected that I would actually brick it.

What happened was:

Since yesterday, one of the songs on my iPod got "cut" as in part of it (at the beginning) didn't play but the rest of it did. One of my favorite songs, Something About Us - Daft Punk, would be mute from 0:00 to maybe 0:15 before the sounds would finally come through. It's like the first fifteen seconds of the song got erased or something. I just thought this would easily be fixed during my next sync.

Also, none of my apps have been working since three days ago. But I'm too busy to sync them all again so I still haven't fixed them (I thought I'd do it tonight).

About 30 minutes ago, the iPod finally ran out of batteries, so I had to sync it to charge it. I thought, no biggie, but this time, I thought I'd do it in my Hackintosh PC with the latest version of iTunes (8.01).

But lo, I connected the iPod and waited for minutes, but the display didn't light up. It was just black as hell, which means the iPod wasn't getting detected nor was it getting charged.

So I booted off my Hackintosh and went to Windows. Here's where the real trouble began to surface.

I plugged in my Touch, it got detected as a Digital Still Camera (which is normal in Windows) and I even got to copy the photos from my iPod's photo roll to my Windows computer without any hiccups. But during this whole process, my iPod didn't light up, as in it's still DEAD. I thought, hey, this isn't right.

The next thing I know, I had the brilliant idea of putting my iPod into DFU Recovery Mode NOT REMEMBERING THAT APPLE DOESN'T PROVIDE A DOWNLOAD LINK FOR THE iPod Touch 2.1.1 firmware that's pre-loaded on all 2nd-generation iPod Touches. So now, I have no way to RESTORE my iPod because I don't have the IPSW. And what's worse, iTunes says "software for this iPod isn't available" or something.

Anyway, I'm downloading a 269MB IPSW as I write this, and hopefully, I'll be able to bring my Touch back to normal in about 45 minutes. But what do you think? Will I ever be able to use my Touch again? Or did I miss something?

2. thewildkid thread starter macrumors newbie

The lesson is

Don't mess with your 2nd-gen Touch because IPSW 2.1.1 isn't readily available ANYWHERE

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

:rolleyes: so you say its bricked yet you could plug it in to pc and it was detected as a digital camera and you were able to put it into DFU and able to recover it?

hmmm where in there was it bricked? you do know a bricked ipod is one that doesn't power on at all? you know as in as useful as a brick? you on the other hand could restore it back to normal?

if your pc didn't have the IPSW on it to restore then all you had to do was hit restore in iTunes and it automatically downloads the IPSW so the IPSW is readily available via iTunes. iTunes will check pc see the file is missing then contact apple servers and downloads to PC to restore.

4. thewildkid thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the problem. I've put it into DFU mode already, and now it's REALLY a brick (unless I can restore it using iTunes).

I can't restore it because there is no firmware 2.1.1. Clicking on Restore brings up a pop-up that says "software for this iPod isn't available" or something. Believe it.

5. thewildkid thread starter macrumors newbie

Dammit, iTunes is playing tricks on me. I located the firmware 2.1.1 update manually, but now, clicking on Restore in iTunes brings up a proper download link (which wasn't the case earlier, I swear). My Touch is back to life now, so you can all forget I ever said anything. Move along, everyone, there's nothing to see here.

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

7. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

i have it on my comp i think, and ill post it on rapidshare soon. If any1 else has the problem, get it here since this is fixed.

Edit: ok nevermind that, it takes forever to upload.

8. Moorsie macrumors newbie

Have the same problem....

Itouch locked. Didn't do anything dodgy.
    Can't find a IPSW file? How did you get around?

9. claylj macrumors newbie

Don't you just hate it when that happens? ;)