Touch 3g/4g (and maybe SD) access via WiFi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bevhoward, Aug 6, 2010.

1. bevhoward macrumors member

First, know that this is an ongoing project, and, for the moment, only within the USA, but, so, far I'm happy with both how it works and looking forward to more options as I learn.

I have no connection with any of the services or vendors mentioned below.

Yesterday, I signed up for Clear internet access using the "ClearSpot 4G+" receiver/router.

This shirt pocket sized receiver distributes Clear's 4g network as a wifi router to up to 5 wifi devices. In addition, it offers 3G "fallback" to the sprint 3g network.

The price for the service and device lease (Austin, Texas) is $56/mo (no startup fees.)

Clear data acess is unlimited although the locations currently available are limited to most, but not all, major usa metro areas.

The sprint 3G "fallback" data is capped at 5GB per month. Clear's site has maps showing coverage on their site and a quick look showed that sprint 3G coverage is available in all areas we are interested in at the moment.

While the device can be powered from ac or cigarette lighter, it also has a three hour battery... means that it can provide cellular data access via wifi from your pocket. Alternatively, leave it in your car in the parking lot, and you can probably access it as you eat, rest, etc...

Has standard wifi ssid, etc setup with multiple wifi encryption options... it's now set up to the same ssid and wep as our main wifi which means you can turn it on as you leave, put it in a shirt pocket and hit the road with a connected touch or wifi ipad and continue any web session uninterrupted.

It also has a potentially valuable option that I have yet to find out how to implement for "idevices..." the router has a microSD slot that offers the possibility of giving memory card access to idevices without the need for a computer.

Network access to any microSD is no problem as a "windows share" from windows computers, but, so far, I have not been able to access the same share from a 4.0 touch.

I purchased Netportal specifically for this need, but, while Netportal connects to the device (which reports itself as an NT 4.9 server,) it never gets to a usable connection state.

Note... Netportal does NOT require the device to be "jailbroken" to install it and is available from the app store.

Hope this info is of value to others looking for alternate data access options. In our case, it is going to really leverage a touch and wifi only ipad.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm looking forward to hearing them. If I learn more, will post here.

Beverly Howard

2. bevhoward thread starter macrumors member

GREAT NEWS!​

I contacted NetPortal's tech support about my unsuccessful attempts to connect to the router's SD slot and immediately received a comprehensive answer along with the news that a NetPortal update was due in the near future.

The NetPortal update appeared this evening... installed it and had instant access to all files on the microSD card inserted into the ClearPoint's SD slot!

Hope that this information is of value.
    Beverly Howard

3. bevhoward thread starter macrumors member

RF Dangers

>> turn it on as you leave, put it in a shirt pocket... <<

Since this device is a multiple frequencey RF transmitter, I withdraw that suggestion... the manual also advises;

"RF Exposure – The Device is authorized for use solely in a mobile application. At least 20
    cm (i.e., 8 inches) of distance separating the Device from the user's body must be
    maintained at all times. "

Beverly Howard