Touch 4 as cell phone replacement thread

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by FearNo1, Aug 7, 2011.

1. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

I am sick of the poor service I am getting from my cell fone. I also want a data plan but they are cracking down on data limits. Thus I am thinking of using the touch 4 as a cell fone when connected to internet via mifi. That way I can have unlimited data and cell service. Basically I will keep the mifi device (clear 4g) in my car when I am out. I figure that most times I will be within 200-300 feet of my car.

I have a few questions/possible concerns:
    1. What is the battery life of touch 4 when wifi is always on?
    2. How good is the touch 4 when using it as a phone?
    3. Is the mic and speaker good for phone purposes? Or do you prefer to use BT headset? How good is the speaker phone?
    4. I was planning on using google voice for my phone number. Does it the app work well with touch? Does it have to be launched to work or will it ring when it is not running?
    5. If the touch is disconnected from network, does it automatically reconnect when its back within range?
    6. Has anyone tried this and successful?

If this is not the right forum for this thread, where should I ask?

2. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

I have a few questions/possible concerns:
    1. Battery Life is not going to be decreased by the constant check of WiFi and the fact that its turned on. I suggest turning it on when necessary.
    2. What apps are you planning to use for your "iPhone"?
    3. Test out the mic and speaker... I think BT headsets are going to drain the battery faster...
    4. Try out the Google Voice App.
    5. If the "iPhone" has WiFi on and is too far to connect, then it will reconnect.
    6. Yes. Apple was successful in creating what is know known has the iPhone. (NO sarcasm intended, its the truth)

3. forcetactic, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

forcetactic macrumors 6502

If you're going to pay for data via mifi, why not get an iPhone instead?

Your suggestion probably won't work well because mifi only has ~30ft range, not 300. The call quality using VoIP is going to be bearable on wifi but extremely bad with cellular data. Your mifi is not going to last the whole day since it runs on battery as well. Your iPod touch might not keep persistent wifi at times, meaning you'll be missing all your calls/texts. Data rates aren't much better for mifi vs mobile. There is no speaker ear piece for iPod touch and microphone is on the back so you literally have to use headphones the whole time.

4. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

The biggest issue is the ability for people to call in. I think you will have to get some sort of paid premium service to allow people to call you.

I found that calling out, there was significant lag. But it might have been my crap 3G Mifi.

I'd be curious to hear what are the best apps for doing this. I think Skype has a paid service. And Vonage just came out with an app.

5. Des Zac macrumors regular

6. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Line2 gives you a local number but there is a $10 fee. There are other ways to do this as well. I thought google voice allowed this since it gives you a phone number.

7. FearNo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Iphone is pricey esp for the amount of data. It will get pretty easy to reach the limit esp with 4G. Clear indicates that their mifi covers 100-150 feet. I guess its best to use bluetooth with the touch.

8. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

For an extra $10 a month for an iPhone once you pay for Mifi, voip and whatever else it is worth it to have the iPhone as it works more seamlessly. Saves a lot of trouble. Plus you will probably save money by getting a subsidized iPhone.

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I use voip.ms and Acrobits. Works really well.

10. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Works great and it's free. I use Google Voice + Talkatone. I can make calls and receive them with no problems. Just have to be near an open wifi signal but they are just about everywhere now. Call quality is excellent.

----------

Nice theory but this is clearly not for the Ipod Touch 4g and that is what the OP was asking about....

11. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

You can get a free phone number from Textfree with Voice by Pinger. I've just gone this route myself. The toughest part to overcome is the idea that you won't be in communication 100% of the time, only where there's wifi. But I figured any place that doesn't have wifi I probably shouldn't be chatting away on the phone or surfing the net anyway.

12. Des Zac macrumors regular

I didn't notice that it wasn't supported : /

13. Stavel Hilston macrumors newbie