Touch 4g Hardware mods and info discussion

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by quackerjack, Oct 29, 2010.

1. quackerjack macrumors newbie

Hi All,

3 days ago I picked up the touch 4g in a 32gb flavour, and i have to say it blows the pants off my first foray into the touch line, a 2g 8gb starter version.

with the addition of a variety of features i find myself looking for unique uses for the hardware. a minor example would be using the microphone as a db meter, or the camera as a light meter. more extensive examples might be the use of attachable lense constructs similar to the griffin macro lens case http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/clarifi or other typically homemade examples.

a thing or two twirling through idle thoughts has me wondering about frequency sensitivity on the back camera and the recent creation of a cell phone camera spectrometer (granted the camera merely provides a source for analyzing on a pc later). for instance, has anyone tested or worked with infrared light and sensitivity?

thanks in advance, and anything related to unconventional use would be appreciated. :)

2. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

I'd suggest to attach a concave mirror to it so you can take pictures of far away galaxies and with little luck you could even discover some exo-planets.

Or what about building an inductor for the dock-connector, that would make a superb metal detector!?

By default you can use it as a pH-value-indicator. Just dip it into the water you'd like to measure and after few seconds you can read the pH-value on the color inside the jack connector. If you have trouble reading it, just send it in and apple will tell you the pH-value.

No, seriously I think you're exaggerating!
    Just use it as an iPod touch, there are about 1/4 million of apps to try out plus jailbraking and porting unix applications if you like. That should suffice.

3. quackerjack thread starter macrumors newbie

a camera on hubble had less pixels to work with than the ipod touch when it first launched.

potentially, if it's a swipe close situation such as a pat down then the touch could generate images based on the sensor. it could also be used a s a rfid inductor to retrieve a variety of signals from a very wide variety of id devices.

in that vein i had a good laugh with a friend when we designed a game for the iphone/touch called 'iSpin'. the goal is to flip the device into the air and have it spin as many times as possible for the high score.

i'm sure it would have been a real hit.

dare to dream, dare to dream

:p