Touch 4th gen problem after updating

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kenny Kinter, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Kenny Kinter macrumors newbie

Okay so I am having a couple of issues with my wife's Ipod touch 4th generation. First off since updated to the 5.0.1. It is saying that the capacity if full. It is not. I have a 32 gb 3rd gen and it has twice as much stuff on it. It is saying she has almost 8gb of "other". I searched the apple site and they are saying the only way to get rid of the "other" that is filling it up, is to restore it. Has anyone had this issue and is that the only solution?
    Other problem is that the home button is not working all the time. You really have to push it to get it to work. I am not sure but some water may have gotten into the button. But if so very little. I bought the Ipod at BJ's and did not get the extended apple care. I bought it last Christmas. will Apple help me with this issue or do we need to just deal with it?
    Thanks for your help. Sorry if this has been asked 100 times.
    Kenny

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Stuff in the Camera Roll counts as Other. Check to see if there are any pictures of videos in there.

3. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

This and small things like email messages, reminders, calenders, I think app data but I'm not 100% sure, voice memos, etc. Clear some of those and come back and say if it works. Also Jailbreak stuff could be under other if you've Jailbroke.

4. Kenny Kinter thread starter macrumors newbie

I removed all the photos from the camera roll and that didn't do anything to the other. She doesn't use the voice memo or calender. So I am thinking its has to be something with the update. If I do the factory restore it gets rid of all the date right? Then I just put everything I want back on but with out any of the saved stuff from the apps. Am I correct?

5. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Correct, did you clear all of the email messages from the trash to?

6. Kenny Kinter thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes everything was cleared and it was still saying she had 7.5 gb of "other". So I went ahead and restored it and it is now down to .41 gb of "other". So for now this is resolved.
    Now onto the home button. I am pretty sure it's not a software issue with the button. I am pretty sure its a hardware issue. What is the likely hood of Apple helping as opposed to Apple being paid to help with a 1 yr old Ipod Touch no extended warranty or apple care.
    By the way thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate the suggestions and they were all tired before I restored. Thanks again.
    Kenny

7. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

So your warranty is up?

8. Kenny Kinter thread starter macrumors newbie

I was kind of figuring it was since I bought it about a year ago. Probably a year and a week ago. How long are Apple's warranties?

9. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

1 year, sometimes if you get a nice genius bar person they'll check it out and could give you a replacement for free.

10. Kenny Kinter thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. Thanks again for your help. We went to the Apple store tonight and had to wait an hour for an appointment. (Not to bad considering it was pretty busy.) Went back in at 6 for the appointment waited a little while. Guy came over asked what was wrong. Told him and that I had bought it last year. He took it hit the button. And of course it worked. he punch the number into his IPad and said. Okay let me get you a new one. And that was it. Gave me a new one I took the covers off the old one and walked out. Simple as anything. Now restoring it to the old backup and we'll be good to go. Thanks again. Worked out well. And I got my wife a new Ipod Touch two years in a row for Christmas. Well kind of. She is the one that pointed it out as well. :)