Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Aware that the 5G is dangerously outdated tech amd likely won't get iOS 9, and barely runs iOS 8.

However I need a camera, music player, and simple wifi browser for a Mexico trip in a couple weeks. Could bring my iPhone 6 and just put it in airplane mode, but I'd rather not risk the theft or damage.

Was going to bring my iPod classic for music and only that til I realized my wife and I would have no digital camera with us, plus a little browser would be handy (though my wife is bringing her iPad).

So I thought about getting a 5G, hoping to hell it is old stock on iOS 7 out of the box, turning off all notifications, amd putting zero apps on it except for music.

Is this a waste of $250?

rkRusty

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2014
UK
Aware that the 5G is dangerously outdated tech amd likely won't get iOS 9, and barely runs iOS 8.

However I need a camera, music player, and simple wifi browser for a Mexico trip in a couple weeks. Could bring my iPhone 6 and just put it in airplane mode, but I'd rather not risk the theft or damage.

Was going to bring my iPod classic for music and only that til I realized my wife and I would have no digital camera with us, plus a little browser would be handy (though my wife is bringing her iPad).

So I thought about getting a 5G, hoping to hell it is old stock on iOS 7 out of the box, turning off all notifications, amd putting zero apps on it except for music.

Is this a waste of $250?

I bought a 32GB iPod Touch (7.1.2) for my 1 month trip to America a couple of months ago, mainly to take photos with. I also took an iPhone 3GS and iPad Air, obviously both for different purposes and neither to be used to take photos.
The touch works well, particularly on the fly when something interesting happens.
I felt OK setting it up and holding it while on a Segway tour (the 'loop' was a lifesaver, even if it didn't last long), for instance, more so than I would an iPhone or proper camera. It's great at getting decent photos quickly, and the added browser, music player and light gaming that comes with it made me choose the Touch over a digital camera around the same price.
I sold it again after I got back, so I didn't lose out on anything.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Or would you guys chance taking an iPhone 6 in airplane mode to Mexico? FWIW we will be in the touristy/resorty areas, not the ghetto.

I do have a $287 Best Buy gift card so it wouldn't cost any money out of pocket to get a touch, but was looking to maybe use that to grab an updated time capsule down the road in the future whenever I get a new laptop.

As mentioned though, I could sell the touch when I'm done. Or make that my dedicated car iPod and sell the 160 gig classic that's currently in there.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Went ahead and ordered it. Had to buy from Best Buy since I have a gift card, but it's pretty lame since no stores anywhere here whatsoever have a silver 32 gig in stock which is weak. Shelled out the $15 to have it tomorrow though.

Also ordered a Power Support Air Jacket/crystal film for it.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
If I was going somewhere where I definitely wouldn't have any cell service, the iPodT5 would be perfect.

Personally I don't see much, if any difference between the iPodT5 camera and my iPhone5s camera. At least for the casual stuff I do. I'm sure if I did side by side comparisons and hunted down differences I could find them, but I don't care that much.

When you get back you'll have a nice, small device for use around the home, and to let your iPhone6 stay on the charger all the time so it's always ready when you go out.

That's why I wish Apple would update the iPodT5 by simply adding 2gigs of RAM so programs would quit crashing. It doesn't need anything else. The processor, sure it's a little slow, but it gets everything done eventually. There's just no way around the lack of RAM though... except a swap file, which Apple, in their infinite wisdom, will never give us. Why I have no idea.

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
Is this a waste of $250?

I think if it was me I'd use the iPad you said you're bringing for music and browsing, and spend that $250 on a decent compact camera with interchangable memory cards. If you shop around and go refurbed or used, you could probably get a surprisingly good little camera for that much -- definitely it would have a bigger lens and better image quality than the Touch camera. Highly recommend dpreview.com for reviews.

** edit ** oh nvm, I see you went for the Touch. Definitely handy to have around the house. I use mine, pretty much perma-docked, in my kitchen as a music streamer AirPlaying to a set of speakers I have there.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Got the iPod today, thankfully it's on iOS 7.

However, I loaded all 1998 songs I have onto it from my iTunes library, but on the iPod it says I have 2002 songs? When plugged into iTunes, in iTunes it says I have 1998 on the device.

What's the deal?

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
So after 1.5 hours of screwing with it, the iPod matches my library like it should've on the very first sync.

Ultimately ended up having to erase all content and settings, then before doing anything, going into settings and turning off the "Show all music" setting, and deleting iCloud altogether (I don't use it).

Once that was done, I could finally verify that there were 0 songs on the iPod, which I was having a hell of a time getting it to that point. Then adding everything manually from my library finally worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.