Touch(8gb) vs Shuffle(2gb?)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by solaris7, Apr 19, 2008.

1. solaris7 macrumors regular

Hello!I was wondering which ipod to choose and tried to base the decision on my needs. I am primarily going to use the ipod for running/in the gym, casual listening etc., checking mail(if i go for the touch) and also some games to pass time while waiting for something(ipod touch again). I know that the shuffle wins hands down for the first criterion, but i was wondering whether you touch owners find it too bulky in places like the gym etc..
    Also, with the touch and the shuffle, can i enable both for disc use? If yes, it would save me some bucks as i can use the extra space and not have a need for a thumb drive.

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I'd go for the Touch, you've already listed several things you would use it for. The only pro of the Shuffle is that it will be more comfortable for gym use...overall though, I think the Touch wins.

And no, the Touch does not allow Disk Use.

3. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I think if its Jailbroken, you can enable disk use.

I think.

4. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Get both. Drop the other $$$ and get the shuffle for workouts.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

I can promise you that the iPod touch would be the worst choice of any of the iPods for the gym. That's just asking for something to break.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Same here.

The Shuffle is made for the gym and action type events. Plus you can use it in disk mode. And it is a whole lot cheaper.

7. brandonzar macrumors regular

both

I got the 16gb touch and the 1gb shuffle that way I'm covered in every situation.:cool:

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

That's my combo as well. I don't really see a point to getting a 2GB shuffle as you'll probably want to sync a new playlist each time anyway. If you went for a refurb touch and a new 1gb shuffle, you could get both for the same price as a new touch. I'd consider that.

9. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

On a non-jailbroken iPod touch or iPhone, you can use it in disk mode through a program called MegaPhone.

10. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

Actually, this is what I was going to suggest. It's not like the Shuffle is expensive. I'm sure you can come up with the $70 for the 2GB shuffle.

Get the Touch for sure though. It is so great and it really isn't bulky enough to at all bother you while working out or running or such. You should get the 1GB Shuffle with the Touch though. You don't need that many songs for the gym or running. Just whip out the Shuffle when your getting buff.

11. skwij macrumors 6502

I personally love and miss the clickwheel. The touch is an awesome gadget, and I love mine to death, but for pure music-playing and ease of use (not having to look at the screen and hit "the spot" to advance etc, and heaven forbid you're in Horizontal mode and need to be Vertical quickly) my 8G last-generation Nano wins hands down.

I'd personally go with a refurb "last gen" nano over the Shuffle, but still get the Touch for the "wow, this is cool for So Much Stuff other than listening to Music" factor.

12. tangledweb16 macrumors regular

tangledweb16

I'd say get the touch.... You'll want more then the shuffle can provide, most likely.

13. colourclassic macrumors member

colourclassic

I have owned both an iPod shuffle and an iPod touch, and, considering your circumstances, the shuffle seems to be the more suitable option. Why would you want to play games or check e-mail at the gym anyway; it seems more a distraction than it's worth.

Of course the iPod touch is an amazing device for those who need the features, and is great for long trips in which excessive physical exertion is not required, but in your case, go with the shuffle.

In addition, the shuffle has a much easier to access menu system than the touch because there isn't one! Much easier for sweaty hands at the gym to navigate.

Or just buy both :rolleyes:

14. solaris7 thread starter macrumors regular

I meant that at other times when I am free, i can use all of the touch features.
    Another thing that i do not get, is why apple has not enabled the touch for disc use?

15. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Because it would easily allow people to store code on the iPod (in other words, it would make jailbreaking even easier).

16. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I bought both, one to work out, the other for everything else

17. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

I would just like to echo what everyone else has said. I have a 16GB touch, brought it to the gym and it was the worst experience of my life. I was always worrying if a weight was going to hit it and break the screen. Remedy: Went and got a 1GB shuffle. They are only $49, and I just clip it on my shirt and forget it is there. I don't like how it doesn't have a screen, therefore, eliminating the ability to pick a song, but for a gym iPod that doesn't matter. Make a playlist of songs you know you will like listening to while working out, then press play...

18. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

get both like said before. even get the 1 GB shuffle. It will be more than enough music for a trip to the gym.
    i mean with a price difference this big...just go for both.

throw in a classic while youre at it!:D

19. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yeah, but if you go for all three, make sure that you plant a money tree... Oh wait, you can't...

20. danny_w macrumors 601

I agree completely. I have an iPhone and never use it as an iPod for those very reasons. I wish I had my nano back.

21. Nickelz92 macrumors member

Hm, I can see why you're having trouble making this decision because of your across the board needs. For me, the iTouch (jk, iPod touch) was an easy choice because I use it primarily for casual listening and not working out. However, keep in mind, an arm sleeve could make the touch workout-friendly, despite being substantially heavier. However, because you seem interested in the Web features, I would suggest the iPod touch.

The selling factor of me on the touch was the fact that this iPhone-esque interface seems to be the future of Apple's devices, so I figured it would stay current longer than a classic or nano.

Finally, keep in mind, if you want some middle ground on the shuffle and touch, you can always try a nano... however obviously it does not have web features.

22. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

I completely disagree. I think the novel interface of the iPod touch allows me to access my music (or other media, web, etc...) much faster than my old iPods did. Also, I have had mine since they came out (pre-ordered it before it was available), so having one for as long as possible, I still get a kick out of the interface; I absolutely love it.

23. YuriVoorhak macrumors regular

Assuming you guys run jailbroken, you should really check out PocketTouch. It implements a crude gesture system (swipe sideways to change track, vertically to change volume) that makes the Touch closer to the no-look operation you're used to.