Touch access question

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by gmagnes, Oct 14, 2014.

1. gmagnes macrumors member

I have an iPhone 6 plus running ios8.02. I have the lock access set to 5 minutes and have setup the finger print access, but pretty much every time I put the phone down, I need to re-submit my finger print in order to access the phone again. It appears to be virtually instantaneous locking instead of waiting 5 minutes for the lock feature to kick in. Is there a setting I can adjust to enable this to work as I think it should?
    Thanks
    Gerry

2. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Touch access question

There are two settings that you may be confusing. General, autolock controls how long it will take for the phone to go to sleep if you don't put it to sleep. If that is set for 5 minutes and you just set the phone down with the screen on then it will go to sleep in 5 minutes.

The other seeing is called require passcode and is under touchID and passcode. That seeing lets you put your phone to sleep and wake it up again without requiring the passcode if it's been less than the time configured there, however, when touchID is enabled then that setting is locked to immediately.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I kind of wish Apple would put these two settings on the same page. When you see them side by side it makes sense, but if someone sees only one it's not obvious that they should continue searching for another similar-sounding setting.

4. macduke Suspended

macduke

I wish Apple would add a setting that makes it so I don't have to use Touch ID just to pick up your phone two seconds later and reply to a message. A security setting of 15 minutes worked for me before getting Touch ID in the 6 Plus. I miss being able to swipe on a message and have it instantly unlock. I don't care if they throw up multiple warning boxes when I enable the setting, it's my phone and I'll secure it how I want. Hopefully with the Apple Watch the thing will have a bluetooth geofence and if your iPhone goes outside of that it will lock it. Otherwise it will unlock for a specified period of time or perhaps indefinitely until the user takes off their watch. That way if you accidentally leave your phone somewhere or it falls out of your pocket then it will lock the device. It would also be cool to have a setting that if you lose proximity to your phone, the Apple Watch taps your wrist to alert you with a message which can be easily dismissed.

5. gmagnes thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the helpful explanation. I guess I just assumed that the general autolock and touch Id lock were coordinated.
    Gerry

----------

One more question:. So if I'm understanding the responses, there's no way to set a 5 minute general shutoff for example, and have a fingerprint provide the access with no other shorter shutoffs and codes required to reopen, right?
    Gerry