Touch and an iPod on iTunes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Hughm, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Hughm macrumors member

My son has an iPod and is about to get a Touch for Christmas.

Can he administer (synch and maintain) both devices on his existing copy of iTunes?

Thanks.

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

Yes. I don't know what the limit is, but we have 2 iPhones and 4 iPods in house and I haven't had any issues yet.

In the preferences menu, they have a Devices tab I think which would show you the limit of how many can be synced per computer. I think it might be 5 devices.

3. androiphone macrumors 65816

yeah I'm pretty sure its unlimited for all ipods and iphones (they just work for all purchases dont have to be authorised) the 5 limit is for the itunes store computer authorisation

4. Hughm thread starter macrumors member

Would the two devices, then, be completely independent: no shared libraries, preferences, that sort of thing?

5. mstrze macrumors 68000

Absolutely. Unless you want them to be similar.

6. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

You can name the device the first time that you attach to iTunes. I just went with Name's iPod and Name's iPhone (I have one of each.) His first name's good enough. :)

My two share everything except things which are iPhone specific. Depending on the age of his iPod, you'll have to be sure to only download apps for Touch, which are different from the older iPod stuff and in a separate part of the App Store.