touch and iphone together, and O2 question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ChocMuffin, Jul 16, 2009.

1. ChocMuffin macrumors newbie

Hi, first time poster here :) Forgive me if the answers are elsewhere, but I've tried to find them with no success. I currently own an iPod Touch, and am about to get an iPhone 3GS. I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone might be able to help with...

1. I intend to keep using my Touch once I've got my iPhone. I have lots of apps on the Touch. Is it possible to have all my apps on both the Touch and the iPhone without having to buy any of them again? If the answer is 'yes', is it possible to have some of my apps on both devices, some on just the Touch, and some on just the iPhone? Or does iTunes make this kind of thing impossible? I suppose the same question applies to my music too.

2. I know some people might think this a bit unusual, but if I could, once I get my iPhone I would ideally continue to use my regular mobile phone for voice/SMS, and just use the iPhone for data only. I know that isn't possible with O2 in the UK unless I get a second contract (and a second phone number). But... Suppose I use the iPhone for voice/SMS/data (i.e everything) for the 2 year contract, and then once I'm free to cancel the contract, I revert to a cheap contract and go back to my normal mobile phone. I've heard that I could then get a pay-as-you-go SIM and then pay £10 a month for unlimited internet access.
    So, my question is... is my above understanding correct? After 2 years on the iphone, can I really go back to a regular cheap contract on my old mobile, and just pay a tenner for internet access on the iphone? I know I should direct my question to O2, but to be honest I have, and didn't manage to get a straight answer (but to be fair, I'm not convinced my question was properly understood).

Hope that all makes sense!

2. ronnyuk macrumors member

If you buy a Iphone o2 payasyougo contract with 10 quid top up, you never have to top up for the first year and you get unlimited internet.

bear in mind people that if you use your contract sim in your iphone and think you can keep the pay as you go sim safe till the expirey date then just before put the sim in and activate it, then get 1 year free net access it doesn't work like that :9

I just put my 5 month old brand new PAYG sim in my Nokia N96 and i had a text telling me I had already used 4 months of my free unlimited internet :(

As too your apps and stuff, I am sure they can only go on 1 device but your music may be able to go on more than 1 device I am not sure.

3. ct2k7 macrumors 603

Ronny is correct as far as O2 goes, as for having the same apps, you'll need to ensure that you use the same Apple ID on both iPhone and iTouch, so that you can reinstall the apps, although I suggest that you try with a free app then a £.59 app or whatever's cheapest there.

4. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

If that is the case, are some people just ill informed or is it some misinformation being put out by O2 to make you top up.

I was always under the impression that you needed to topup once a month to get the unlimited data.

I don't make many calls on my phone so I didn't fancy topping up again just for the data so I didn't the last couple of months and my data is still there at the moment so you are probably right :)