Touch App - Maps

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by XxCH3AT3RxX, Jul 22, 2008.

1. XxCH3AT3RxX macrumors regular

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/features.html#maps

Referring to this video.

I do not have an iPod touch yet, but it will be here tomorrow. Say I find my location on the map while on a wifi point and find a location I want to go to and set up the directions to it. Now lets say I start driving, or moving, in that direction and I lose the wifi signal. The maps and directions that are already on the screen, do they stay? Or once I lose the signal it goes away? I would assume they would stay, but want to know.

Edit: Well, I did some searching and I found you can, I guess. But I had some more questions. If you have a region saved, can you still zoom in/out? How fast is it to set up a connection for a open wifi point to change the location.

2. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

They're cached, so they stay, but only at the resolution recently viewed. If you try to zoom in on a portion of the route you probably won't be able to see it in higher resolution.

3. XxCH3AT3RxX thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm. Well if the location is far away and I am at the resolution I like, I cannot scroll to the place?

4. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

i'm pretty sure you can zoom into the place but i don't think it will get clearer as you zoom like it would if you would have WiFi

5. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Let's put it this way: Once you lose the wi-fi signal the app can't update the map anymore, like for higher-resolution close-up views, and can only use the cached data it has available. It will do the best it can with what it has, but the results will vary depending on what data you grabbed before you lost the signal. But whatever you had right before you lost the signal will continue to be available to you.

For example, I'm looking at my Touch right now, and looking at the route I asked for earlier today. I'm away from home and don't have a data connection right now. The overview is there, and if I zoom in on the start (my house, which was my 'current location' at the time), I get higher resolution views, but if I zoom in on the destination the resolution doesn't get any better. If I zoom back out, the whole overview is still there. In fact, I can zoom even further out and see the map well beyond the route area, but if I try to zoom in on an areas outside the route I queried for I get varied results.

In general, I don't think you should expect to have much more than the overview of the 'route' information available to you once you don't have a data connection anymore. The Touch shouldn't be expected to continuously update on the go like the iPhone can. You're probably going to just have to play with it and see what kind of results you get.

6. Mason1 macrumors member

If you bring up the directions before you leave, you dont have to leave them up. You can press the home button and do other stuff and if you need them again then just bring up maps and it will go right back to where it was.

I usually just put them in list view so I dont have to worry about the map