Touch & AppleTV Encoding Compromise - HELP

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by HelixOmnimedia, Sep 19, 2007.

1. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

I think I may need a compromise!

I have a lot of TV Shows and some Movies, which I have encoded with Handbrake to work on the Apple TV.

AppleTV Settings
    h.264, 2000bit, 640x (whatever - Keep Aspect Ratio Ticked)

42min episodes are coming out at 654.4 MB (approx depending on length obviously).

Now these setting are AMAZING for watching the videos on my PowerBook and perfect for watching them on my 50" Plasma TV. In the past I have experimented with different bit rates, even though the picture is perfect on my PB on the TV it is noticeably different in a bad way.

So I have an iPodTouch on order (why isn't it shipped!!:mad:), so now I don't know who to go about converting my collection from now on. Since I want it good for the TV, PowerBook and the iPodTouch - but then space comes into the Touch and then quality become a problem with the TV.

What should I do? Any ideas?

2. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

I use DVD copy 5 for a year or so on a PC to convert 200 dvd's and 300 albums. It has alot of options to pick from.

What ever you do back it twice. It took three months to convert them to H264. One reason I have three external HD's I do not want to do that twice ever again!

3. HelixOmnimedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

:D I had a little accident at the beginning of the summer where all the movies I had converted/encoded became corrupt, lost 50 movies :( - but i have learned my lesson. The same day I went and order another WD 500GB Harddrive... SO now I have two. One for Storage & Backup and the other for Backup of the backup :)

But yeah good advice for anyone who is converting most or all of their collection.