Touch as a Wifi phone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by netdog, Oct 15, 2007.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I know that my 5.5G and NanoIII can take microphones (I use them to record classes) so there is probably circuitry to get sound into the Touch, yes?

Is there any way yet to use a Touch as a Wifi phone? Skype? Other?

If there is, and if I can also use it to browse and do mail, I may just keep my 6300 as a pay as you go and use the Touch whenever Wifi is around.

2. Nohg macrumors member

Theoretically: iPot has bluetooth chipset...or plug in one of many iPod bluetooth accessories+headset. A bit of coding later, it *might* be possible to use it as such. But its easier to use a cellphone.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Don't think it does have bluetooth (at least not activated and not able to be activated at the moment). I did some digging after spotting the bluetooth code in the jailbroken iPod but a bluetooth device doesn't appear in /dev/ and if you use the commands to power it on you get a stack error. Also, you can enable the bluetooth settings menu by adding a setting to the springboard config file but all you get in settings is a greyed out bluetooth menu option with "not present" displayed.

4. Nohg macrumors member

Until apple says "No bluetooth" I continue to hope! Though it is likely that there is none. And if there is in fact to BT, a BT adapter will be out for the iPot soon-ish... and if not... I'll make one and be RICH!!(ish)

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

That's exactly how I felt about bluetooth but having played around with my unlocked iPod I'm 100% certain now that there is no accessible bluetooth in the iPod in the current firmware.
    Slightly off topic, but I remember years ago when 3 first launched in the UK, i got a motorola phone from them (full screen touch screen), and it didn't have Bluetooth accessible on it, but it was enabled by a firmware update shortly after launch. We can live in hope :D

6. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

if any of you read articles around the release of the ipod touch on this site, they provided a link to pictures of touches taken apart, many people have taken it apart in search of a the bluetooth chipset. Its NOT there